Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Buying new camera: Pentax K-X or Canon T1i (help requested)

Hi all

I just registered here to ask for some assistance , but I have skulked for a while as I have been using manual focus Takumars ( 28mm and 55mm) on my Canon Rebel XT and this place would seem to be the best source for Pentax information

Im looking to grab a new camera and have narrowed it down to either the Pentax k-x or the Canon T1i. as they both are able to shoot video, and high ISO for low light/indoor shots ( I think the T1i does 6400 and the K-X does 12800)

the Pentax has IS in the camera body and is 510 shipped
the T1i has no IS and its 729 shipped

Has anyone tried the k-x with old MF lenses? my understanding is that the Pentax K lenses should slot right on, and Pentax makes a M42> K adapter , is that right?

re: T1i, I have a rebel XT now and I only have 3 lenses for it, kit 18-55 , 50mm F1.8 II , and a 70-200 F4L which Ill probably sell as its too heavy to lug around while chasing my 2 little kids.

oh, the K-X also comes in a cool red or white colour

any comments/suggestions/tips are welcome

cheers

(I also posted this on the mflenses forum )

04-17-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a number of 'old' lens with my kx and there is one thing you will notice right away. Without a focus screen you can have some difficulties shooting in low light. No worse than any other camera, but nothing like shotting with the 35mm bodies.

You are correct any pentax lens will slot right in, m42 will need an adapter.

The auto focus tone will beep when you achieve focus, so you still have some help.

Really I am very happy with my kx.

I had bought a T1i, but returned it for a KX about a week later.

I believe you will be very happy with the SR in the KX with the manual lens, an option that is just not there for Cannon.
04-17-2010, 12:45 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
I too bought a Canon T1i and I wound up returning it and got a KX a couple months later.

I don't regret my decision for one second...I absolutely LOVE my kx. It is much more comfy to hold (I have big hands) and it outperforms the t1i where it counts.

I didn't like the auto white balance of the t1i, that along with the poor high iso resolution made me return it. The kx does a much better job than the t1i (in my opinion)

Plus the kx is cheaper....this will allow you to buy extra lenses!!

I did love the t1i lcd display....very nice. But the kx has a better feel to it (for me anyways).

I spent a very LONG time researching all the different cameras and my conclusion was that the pentax kx was the best deal for the money.
04-17-2010, 01:48 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dude163 Quote
Hi all

I just registered here to ask for some assistance , but I have skulked for a while as I have been using manual focus Takumars ( 28mm and 55mm) on my Canon Rebel XT and this place would seem to be the best source for Pentax information

Im looking to grab a new camera and have narrowed it down to either the Pentax k-x or the Canon T1i. as they both are able to shoot video, and high ISO for low light/indoor shots ( I think the T1i does 6400 and the K-X does 12800)

the Pentax has IS in the camera body and is 510 shipped
the T1i has no IS and its 729 shipped

Has anyone tried the k-x with old MF lenses? my understanding is that the Pentax K lenses should slot right on, and Pentax makes a M42> K adapter , is that right?

re: T1i, I have a rebel XT now and I only have 3 lenses for it, kit 18-55 , 50mm F1.8 II , and a 70-200 F4L which Ill probably sell as its too heavy to lug around while chasing my 2 little kids.

oh, the K-X also comes in a cool red or white colour

any comments/suggestions/tips are welcome

cheers

(I also posted this on the mflenses forum )
Welcome to the forum, whatever decision you take.

I went through a similar decision a few months ago. I was undecided between the Canon 500D (T1i), Nikon D90, the Pentax K-7 and the Pentax K-x.

I ultimately decided to select the K-7, and I would probably take the same decision today. Here are a few practical considerations that influenced my decision:

- Weight and size
The D90 is much heavier and larger than both K-7 and K-x, the 500D (T1i) being in the middle. This is a major consideration when I do a lot of outdoor activities, often walking fast or even running with the camera in my hands. It is also an issue in relation to the camera bag: it has to be a larger one for the D90.

- Weather protection/resistance WR
The K-7 is the only one these 4 cameras with WR. A major attraction for outdoor photography and quite impotant point. I may add now that I have the K-7 that it is very solid.

- View finder
Both the D90 and K-7 have a very nice Viewfinder, and I was disappointed by the 500D (T1i) and K-x Viewfinder. The K-7 viewfinder is really nice

- Price
The K-x is the least expansive. While the D90 and 500D are less expansive than the K-7 (body only), the D90 and 500D do not have image stabilisation: i.e, you need to buy a lens/lenses with optical stabilisation that is/are more expansive. In addition, the prices of all cameras is now quite good value for money (in my opinion).

- Image quality
All cameras have an excellent reputation for image quality, with possibly a + for the D90. But I looked at all reviews (DPR, Imaging-resource, dCResource, ...) and the test photographs, and I could not see a huge difference between any of these three cameras.

- Video
All four have videos. The K-7 has a slight advantage with an external microphone jack.

- Continuous shooting
The K-7 has the best Hi continuous shooting in terms of frame rate (5.2 fps) and buffer size.

At the end, the weight of the camera, the weather resistance (for outdoor activities), the viewfinder and continuous hooting capabilities were the key parameters that lead to my decision to purchase a K-7 over the 500D (T1i), D90 and K-x. My second choice would be the K-x because of the better value for money than the 500D and D90. Today I would toake the same decision again.

I add however that I would recommend you to test each camera body in a shop to have a personal feel for the camera. You would not like to be disappointed by your new purchase, and each person has different opinion.

Hope that the comment will help....

Last edited by hcc; 04-17-2010 at 01:51 PM. Reason: typos
04-18-2010, 08:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info,

Ill keep an eye out for a good sale price
04-18-2010, 09:14 AM   #6
Forum Member

I too was asking the same question over the last few weeks.
I went with a K-m because I got a awesome deal on it.

I did a lot of shopping and actually found the K-x (black) with the 18-55 and 50-200mm for under $575 shipped.

I love mine an I'm sure you will to.

The older lenses work great and yes you do get the AF "beep" I'm planning on swamping out the stock focus screen for a split screen.
04-18-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If you don't like your XT then you're probably not going to like the T1i considering how little Canon adds each time they upgrade their cameras. Not to mention the price of the lenses that you'd have to buy to have the equivalent of the ones that come with the K-x. I would really go with the K-x because for you it would really work, and you can buy the two lens kit (which won't have nearly as good image quality as your 70-200mm L but will probably be enough if you're just mostly photographing your kids. It definitely will be a lot easier to carry around too, the K-x is probably about the same size as the XT, but the lenses are where you'll notice the difference with them.
04-19-2010, 12:46 PM   #8

I was in your shoes 4 months ago. Seriously considering the T1i and the K-x. I went to the local electronics shop and handled both a few times and popped in my own SD card to take some sample pics to examine when i got home. I loved the screen on the T1i, but hated a few things about it that no one in any of the reviews I've read has mentioned... the SD card door seemed very flimsy to me... I use a card reader in my laptop to download the pictures, so I open/close it a lot. The door on the K-x seemed more substantial and was very easy to open and close with a solid 'click'.

The dial on the T1i does not rotate 360 degrees. I nearly broke it a few times and quickly got annoyed with it because if I was on one setting and tried to jump to another that was on the other side of the 'gap', I had to turn the dial back thru all the other settings to get to it. After owning 2 other Canon cameras that allowed full rotation, I knew this could be a potential service call by either me or my wife using it. The dial on the K-x seemed more to what I'm used to (although I had to exchange my first K-x because of dial issue )

The screen is beautiful on the T1i, but I have found I don't miss it much on the K-x.

I could go either way with the battery designs. My previous two cameras both used AA, so we're used to it and we already had great luck with the Rayovac Hybrids. I bought a couple sets of the Eneloops, (but question myself why) since I can usually get 400-500 shots on a single charge and that's with a lot of chimping and video mixed in.

I first tried out the Navy K-x but really didn't care for the color much and IMO it looked cheap sitting next to the T1i... the T1i looked much more professional and sleek. But then I handled the white K-x. I was in love with that Storm Trooper.... but my wife hated it, said it looked like something Barbie would use... I argued that she'd probably have a pink one, but it was a losing battle. So I guess it's a good thing the 2 lens kit I bought only came in black. lol

My wife has a few M42 lenses that we've been using on the K-x, our favorite is an Auto Rikenon 55mm f1.4 I bought the Pentax-made M42 adapter and it's very easy to use. The focus confirm beep with the manual lenses is nice, but can really get annoying after a while for me and anyone around while using large aperture lens. It'll just constantly beep as you move the camera around until the viewfinder/af detect times out after a few seconds. Personally, I shut the beep off and go by the green hexagon in the view finder most of the time with the manual lenses.

The only thing I'm disappointed in the K-x is the image stabilization noise during video. The thing makes alot of noise that is picked up by the mic if it is enabled. I initially wondered why it was disabled by default... Maybe I'll get to enable it at a sporting event or some place where ambient noise can drown it out, but taking clips of my daughter in the backyard, that sewing machine-type noise really kills it. The video quality while in the electronics store was much better from the T1i as well, I expected the high iso quality of pics from the K-x to translate to the videos, but it doesn't unless you jump thru the hoops to set it up each time.

HTH your decision.

04-19-2010, 12:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the extensive reply Hemi

I was set on getting a red K-X , bu that White stormtrooper one is looking pretty sweet, Im just not sure how it will hold up with repeated use for scuffing etc
04-19-2010, 01:06 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Keep it black, color trend change all the time and could be hard to sell in a few year. Not everybody like them , less buyer
04-19-2010, 02:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I was set on getting a red K-X , bu that White stormtrooper one is looking pretty sweet, Im just not sure how it will hold up with repeated use for scuffing etc
The colors are very nice, but I would recommend actually seeing if you can go and try them out in person before you buy them, because although the photos that you see of them may look really nice, you may be really dismayed by the actual camera when you get it.
04-19-2010, 02:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The red K-x is a fine looking camera, but I really do like the white better as it does have the stormtrooper look to it. However, since you asked that question on scuffing I am kinda curious as well.

I had the understanding that all the plastic was that color so that even though you scratched it, a different color would not show from underneath.

Last edited by Tuner571; 04-19-2010 at 04:32 PM.
04-19-2010, 03:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Keep it black, color trend change all the time and could be hard to sell in a few year. Not everybody like them , less buyer
I rarely if ever sell stuff

I still have an Olympus OM10, and a Rebel 2000 Ive had for about 10-15 years , so if I grab a K-X , it will join my stash of junk
04-19-2010, 04:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There was an almost identical thread to this yesterday so search around for more info. I will make this short since I am just confirming what others have told you. Which is: Get the K-x.

The Rebel line to me are quite poorly made, though they have improved in some respects. That said, I don't have much experience since they turn me off. But the Pentax cameras are very solid and compact at the same time. I really appreciate this.

The ergonomics of the Pentax cameras that have front and back dials are unsurpassed, though you'd have to step up to the K-7 for this. Then you'd get weather-sealing, a better viewfinder, AF assist lamp and so on.

Pentax bodies are fully backwards compatible with lenses. And yes, all you need is an M42 adapter, of which the Pentax branded are the best. I go out with old manual lenses all the time since their IQ is still unsurpassed (in the best cases) and manual focus is a dream.
04-19-2010, 05:01 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Aside from a couple features I wish were in the Pentax (illuminated AF points & higher res lcd), to me T1i doesn't do anything significantly better than the K-x. In fact, i think most reviews and tests have shown that the K-x performs better overall in low lighting.

The argument for the Canon used to be that it was able to record 1080p movies versus the Pentax's 720p. What most people didn't understand was that it did so at a miserable 20fps. To get the "cinema" effect, you need to record in at least 24fps, thus you'd have to switch to the Canon's 720p anyhow.

In any case, my main reason for choosing the K-x over the T1i was price. I'm not sure where they're at now, but 4 months ago you could get the K-x with 18-55 and 55-300mm lens for $650 (from Amazon). Since it was my first DSLR camera, I felt I needed the package with the most focal range.

Speaking of which, have you considered just selling the XT body and replacing it with a T2i body? I think that would be the route I'd go if I were in your shoes, since you already have some Canon lenses.