Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2010, 06:29 AM   #1

shutter help

My brother in law just gave me a ME Super. I'm new to film except for point and shoot when I was a kid in the 80s. I've got it all ready to go, learned a lot from the manual. But just when I get set up for the photo, I press the shutter and get nothing. this shutter makes absolutely no noise - not a click or even a feel that anything is happening. Broken?

04-18-2010, 07:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ticadawn Quote
My brother in law just gave me a ME Super. I'm new to film except for point and shoot when I was a kid in the 80s. I've got it all ready to go, learned a lot from the manual. But just when I get set up for the photo, I press the shutter and get nothing. this shutter makes absolutely no noise - not a click or even a feel that anything is happening. Broken?
You do pull the film advance lever, before pressing the shutter button?

An SLR needs its shutter cocked, before you can take an image. A second thought would be, that the battery is dead. The ME Super needs a battery to operate, except on the x-sync speed, which you chose via the dial on the right top. Set that the dial to x-sync and try again. If the shutter fires (ofcourse after advancing the film), then simply the battery is dead.

Ben
04-18-2010, 07:56 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
You do pull the film advance lever, before pressing the shutter button?

An SLR needs its shutter cocked, before you can take an image. A second thought would be, that the battery is dead. The ME Super needs a battery to operate, except on the x-sync speed, which you chose via the dial on the right top. Set that the dial to x-sync and try again. If the shutter fires (ofcourse after advancing the film), then simply the battery is dead.

Ben
Or the meter is dead, or the batteries (takes 2 of them) are in backwards..

04-18-2010, 12:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Or the meter is dead, or the batteries (takes 2 of them) are in backwards..

The shutter should fire, even with a dead meter. But you are right about the reversed batteries. This is an all too common mistake!

Ben

04-18-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
Inactive Account

The shutter should fire, even with a dead meter. But you are right about the reversed batteries. This is an all too common mistake!

Ben
I didn't think it would work in the Auto mode if the meter was dead. I guess it would just default to the sync speed (?). I have an ME, even with a working meter, is firing at sync speed in Auto regardless of meter reading and lens aperture (set with the ring of course) so I guess that could be the case.

04-19-2010, 01:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I didn't think it would work in the Auto mode if the meter was dead. I guess it would just default to the sync speed (?). I have an ME, even with a working meter, is firing at sync speed in Auto regardless of meter reading and lens aperture (set with the ring of course) so I guess that could be the case.

You're probably right, Jeff. In Auto-mode it could be, that the MEs doesn't fire at all, if the meter is dead - makes sense. I don't have one to try it, never had any love for the MEs, though it was very popular in its time…

Ben
04-19-2010, 03:33 AM   #7
Inactive Account

You're probably right, Jeff. In Auto-mode it could be, that the MEs doesn't fire at all, if the meter is dead - makes sense. I don't have one to try it, never had any love for the MEs, though it was very popular in its time…

Ben
I don't have any love for them either but I've inherited a couple in my quest for glass. That is, bought the camera to get the lenses.