Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2010, 06:32 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Aperture Ring - Permitted/Prohibited? F--- Error?

I was experimenting my new Tamron 70-300 lens with my Pentax K-x. I observed "F---" when the "Aperture Ring" is not set to "A" position.

I read the manual and found the option in menu "Aperture Ring -Permitted/Prohibited". What for is this used? When I change to "Permitted" still I get the same error in viewfinder.

However, in Av Priority mode I can change the "Aperture" value using e-dial.

I am not clear on the Aperture Ring - Permitted/Prohibited. Could you please help me?

Thanks,
Krishna

04-18-2010, 06:36 AM   #2
emr

You need to set it to "permitted" to be able to use older, non-A lenses. When you set it correctly, you can manually choose the wanted aperture on the lens and then use the green button to measure correct exposure (time).
04-18-2010, 06:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It will always show F-- for non A position of aperture on the lens.
This is because all Pentax DSLRs use "crippled" bayonet. That means - there is no aperture coupler for transmitting selected (on the lens) aperture value to camera.
04-18-2010, 07:05 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zebooka Quote
It will always show F-- for non A position of aperture on the lens.
This is because all Pentax DSLRs use "crippled" bayonet. That means - there is no aperture coupler for transmitting selected (on the lens) aperture value to camera.
So to get correct exposures in AV, with aperture on non-A position, you have to stop down, otherwise every shot will be be wide open, or you can switch to M and do correct measurement with the GreenButton (AElock?) (Here you also have to select custom function "Green button in TAv or M mode to TV shift)

Rui

04-18-2010, 08:17 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krishna Quote
I was experimenting my new Tamron 70-300 lens with my Pentax K-x. I observed "F---" when the "Aperture Ring" is not set to "A" position.

I read the manual and found the option in menu "Aperture Ring -Permitted/Prohibited". What for is this used? When I change to "Permitted" still I get the same error in viewfinder.

However, in Av Priority mode I can change the "Aperture" value using e-dial.

I am not clear on the Aperture Ring - Permitted/Prohibited. Could you please help me?

Thanks,
Krishna
I understand you are just experimenting but there really isn't a good reason to take an A type lens off of the A position. If you want to use a lens that does not have an A setting, then you need to set Using Aperture Ring to Permitted.

The way I do it on my K7 is that I set the camera to M mode, Set the aperture or shutter speed, pull the power switch to Preview (set it for DOF preview instead of Digital preview) which will show the meter, then set the other parameter (shutter speed or aperture) until I have the metering I want. There are other ways of doing it, I'm sure, but that one works for me.

04-18-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
So to get correct exposures in AV, with aperture on non-A position, you have to stop down, otherwise every shot will be be wide open, or you can switch to M and do correct measurement with the GreenButton (AElock?) (Here you also have to select custom function "Green button in TAv or M mode to TV shift)

Rui
On the KX, in M mode, you don't have to set the Green to TV shift in M mode with a manual lens--the EV button (yes, the EV button) locks in the appropriate shutter speed.

I just learned this last week, and reconfigured my Green button to do something else.
04-18-2010, 10:03 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I understand you are just experimenting but there really isn't a good reason to take an A type lens off of the A position. If you want to use a lens that does not have an A setting, then you need to set Using Aperture Ring to Permitted.

The way I do it on my K7 is that I set the camera to M mode, Set the aperture or shutter speed, pull the power switch to Preview (set it for DOF preview instead of Digital preview) which will show the meter, then set the other parameter (shutter speed or aperture) until I have the metering I want. There are other ways of doing it, I'm sure, but that one works for me.

I use the same method on my K10d. It is very much like the original KX (film camera) where the blue needle showed the shutter speed set and the black needle showed where the meter thought it should be. In a strict emergency I will just press the green button and pray that the meter is using the correct exposure, but I much prefer to analyze my manual exposure settings.

With the K10/20 the meter is a line with the exposure showing above, sort of like this i..i..l..i..i but upside down, with bright blocks above showing the setting.

With the K200 and some others, the meter is +/- 0.0 values at the extreme right of the display. It's not quite as intuitive, but definitely usable.

04-18-2010, 10:14 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I use the same method on my K10d. It is very much like the original KX (film camera) where the blue needle showed the shutter speed set and the black needle showed where the meter thought it should be. In a strict emergency I will just press the green button and pray that the meter is using the correct exposure, but I much prefer to analyze my manual exposure settings.

With the K10/20 the meter is a line with the exposure showing above, sort of like this i..i..l..i..i but upside down, with bright blocks above showing the setting.

With the K200 and some others, the meter is +/- 0.0 values at the extreme right of the display. It's not quite as intuitive, but definitely usable.
The K7 works the same way as the 10/20 but I had to turn off the horizon level display to get the meter to show. I don't know that it was necessary for all modes, it is just one of the first things I did when I unpacked the camera and haven't given it a second thought.

04-18-2010, 01:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Krishna,

I find it hard to believe that you have bought a new Tamron 70-300mm which is manual operated. If this lens is not second hand and old, something is wrong.

If it is second hand, perhaps you should then start to read this post: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/59272-shooting-...x-dslrs-f.html

- Bert
04-18-2010, 03:56 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Krishna,

I find it hard to believe that you have bought a new Tamron 70-300mm which is manual operated. If this lens is not second hand and old, something is wrong.

If it is second hand, perhaps you should then start to read this post: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/59272-shooting-...x-dslrs-f.html

- Bert
The OP specified "when the aperture is not set to the A position" in his post. There really is no reason to take a lens aperture off the A position. The metering works better because of the missing trace on the modern mount and you can change the aperture without looking at the lens and see the results in the viewfinder.
04-19-2010, 01:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The OP specified "when the aperture is not set to the A position" in his post. There really is no reason to take a lens aperture off the A position. The metering works better because of the missing trace on the modern mount and you can change the aperture without looking at the lens and see the results in the viewfinder.
Thanks, missed that...
04-20-2010, 10:34 AM   #12

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you for your inputs. Now I could see it working. The "F---" continue to display in the monitor, the moment I change it from "A" position. Once I change it from "A" position, I immediately change Aperture Ring - Permitted.

I just want to experiment each and every aspect of K-x.

Once again, thanking you.
04-20-2010, 03:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

There's no reason to the set the "Use Aperture Ring" to anything other than "Permitted" - there's no harm in leaving it set that way all the time. There's also no reason to ever move that aperture ring off "A" again, except maybe to practice how to use manual lenses.
04-23-2010, 08:06 PM   #14

You folks seem fairly adamant about not moving the aperture ring to anything other than A and I have to ask why?

I noticed the camera loses it's ability to know what the aperture is set at to record into the EXIF data.

I'm coming into this discussion as a newbie, but:

I liken my lenses with aperture ring to my record player. There is something so fond in moving the ring versus pressing an electronic button where you don't feel or hear what is going on. I find that quite similar to grabbing a vinyl and listening to the warm sounds it produces.

speak of though, is there a case for the aperture blades breaking down faster over time used b hand versus letting the camera take over?
04-23-2010, 08:16 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Capslock118 Quote
You folks seem fairly adamant about not moving the aperture ring to anything other than A and I have to ask why?

I noticed the camera loses it's ability to know what the aperture is set at to record into the EXIF data.

I'm coming into this discussion as a newbie, but:

I liken my lenses with aperture ring to my record player. There is something so fond in moving the ring versus pressing an electronic button where you don't feel or hear what is going on. I find that quite similar to grabbing a vinyl and listening to the warm sounds it produces.

speak of though, is there a case for the aperture blades breaking down faster over time used b hand versus letting the camera take over?
The reason to use solely the "A" position is that it is the only position where the full automation of the camera will work. When you set the aperture manually using the aperture ring, only in M mode will the aperture stop down to the selected aperture. In any automatic mode, the aperture will not stop down, the camera will switch to Av mode and take the picture with the aperture wide open.

If you want to try out the functionality, first read the sticky about use of manual lenses at the top of this forum.