Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2010, 08:59 AM   #1
Inactive Account

RAW resolution worst than JPEG ?

I have just shooted a few photos to a handpainted picture with my K10D with same settings once in JPEG and once in RAW. When I see the photos (using Picasa or XnView) the RAW images (both PEF and DNG) appear to be less definite than JPEG.
I would expected the converse, any suggestion for this ?

04-18-2010, 09:20 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Your viewing software isn't applying the same level of sharpening to the raw files as the in camera jpeg rendering.
I suspect this is a general failing of free image viewers.
04-18-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Your viewing software isn't applying the same level of sharpening to the raw files as the in camera jpeg rendering.
I suspect this is a general failing of free image viewers.
I believe IrfanView uses the embedded JPG, which I assume to be generated according to the in-camera JPG settings. He may wish to give it a try.
04-18-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The RAW image is just that -- raw, unfinished, undeveloped. You need to develop it in a RAW editor like PentaxPhotoLab or whatever you have available. Your JPEG settings will be carried into the editor as defaults, starting points. When you use the RAW editor to adjust sharpness, contrast, color, whatever else as you wish, and save the picture as a new JPG or TIF, you will probably see a great difference in the quality and detail. Yes, your image viewer only pulls the small rough JPG thumbnail out of the RAW file to show you. It is unfinished business. It is only a hint of what your developed picture will look like.

04-18-2010, 01:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matamanoa Quote
I have just shooted a few photos to a handpainted picture with my K10D with same settings once in JPEG and once in RAW. When I see the photos (using Picasa or XnView) the RAW images (both PEF and DNG) appear to be less definite than JPEG.
I would expected the converse, any suggestion for this ?
As said before, RAW is unfinished.
However, many software packages (like Lightroom) do take the camera settings when showing the image to you. Nevertheless you can alter any of them and create a JPEG image to your likings.
Reading your post, I'd say add contrast and sharpness to the raw image and see what happens...
Picasa can handle K10D RAW files, try it.

On the other hand, answering the question from you post title: no, RAW does not have LESS resolution. In fact it may wel have MORE.
Since the JPEG format is *not* a loss less format, independent of who/what converts the RAW image to JPEG, information will be lost.

- Bert
04-19-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I believe IrfanView uses the embedded JPG, which I assume to be generated according to the in-camera JPG settings. He may wish to give it a try.
Irfanview is a great viewer, and in the plug-ins settings it actually gives you a choice of viewing the embedded jpeg or the RAW without camera settings applied.
04-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I find your initial reaction funny, but only because it is was how I reacted when I first started using RAW.

At the time, everyone was saying that I have to be using RAW, but it always looked soft and washed out. I wish back then that more people were as helpful as they are now, (rather than trying merely to show how much more they knew). Oh BTW, not a stab at this site at all, I found this site long after that.

Anyway, the simple statements made here would have saved me a lot of time experimenting before these "obvious" facts became apparent.