Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2010, 08:34 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Shipping Lens - Most efficient & effective to pack & ship?

All,

I have a need to send my lens to get a repair. I am concern (maybe overly) about how to ship it. What is the most effective& efficient way to pack & ship? My lens is a a wobbly Vivitar Series 1 with no original box, just the lens. I am worried that shipping it would make it worse. What is the best way to pad the thing? Peanuts, shredded paper, bubble wrap, or other combinations? I am in the US, what's the most efficient & safe shipping method, coast to coast?

Thanks,

A

04-19-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have used a combination of bubble wrap around the lens itself then placed this in a bed of peanuts and filled the box with additional peanuts, I have never had a buyer complain about damage so it seems to work for me i try to have about an inch of peanuts all around the lens by the way.
04-19-2010, 09:10 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've shipped over 200 lenses using USPS, domestically and to about a dozen countries, with no trouble. I usually do something like this:
  • put the lens in a plastic bag to keep dust and styrofoam bits out of it
  • bubble wrap
  • foam packing peanuts around that
I don't like to use those balloon things that Amazon uses. I imagine them getting punctured and suddenly not providing any protection. Newspaper works in a pinch.
The post office will give you a medium flat-rate box, which has way more room than you need for the lens and packing material. You might pay a buck less for shipping if you have a box and pay by weight. I print labels online so I can get electronic delivery confirmation for free and a slightly cheaper price.
04-19-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I've shipped over 200 lenses using USPS, domestically and to about a dozen countries, with no trouble. I usually do something like this:
  • put the lens in a plastic bag to keep dust and styrofoam bits out of it
  • bubble wrap
  • foam packing peanuts around that
I don't like to use those balloon things that Amazon uses. I imagine them getting punctured and suddenly not providing any protection. Newspaper works in a pinch.
The post office will give you a medium flat-rate box, which has way more room than you need for the lens and packing material. You might pay a buck less for shipping if you have a box and pay by weight. I print labels online so I can get electronic delivery confirmation for free and a slightly cheaper price.
Yep, this is pretty much it. Just make sure you have the lens wrapped in bubble wrap as it is the best protecter of the lens. When I ship a lens it normally goes inside a plastic bag, which is then wrapped good and tight with a good amount of bubble wrap. I then fill a box halfway with packing peanuts, but in my lens, then fill to the top with peanuts to secure it in the box.

04-19-2010, 08:13 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by aseno Quote
All,

I have a need to send my lens to get a repair. I am concern (maybe overly) about how to ship it. What is the most effective& efficient way to pack & ship? My lens is a a wobbly Vivitar Series 1 with no original box, just the lens. I am worried that shipping it would make it worse. What is the best way to pad the thing? Peanuts, shredded paper, bubble wrap, or other combinations? I am in the US, what's the most efficient & safe shipping method, coast to coast?

Thanks,

A
I HATE, let me say that again, HATE those damn styrofoam peanuts. They get all over the place and don't taste very good either ... Wrap your lens up in bubble wrap until you cannot get any more in the box. Send it Postal Priority mail with delivery confirmation so you know it arrived. I've yet in over 800 shipments, to have one get lost or damaged (not all lenses of course) within the USA. Worldwide shipments get the same treatment with the same results.

04-20-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I think popcorn works too if you don't have the peanuts and tastes better too!
04-20-2010, 03:37 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote

Yeah but I like mine buttered and it might get the lens all greasy causing more problems than it prevents.

04-20-2010, 03:46 PM   #8

Original Poster
Isn't it the 'L' in 'CLA' is for lubrication? Probably organic peanuts makes better lubrication on the blades Thanks for the input, all. I know get the idea.
04-20-2010, 05:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
So that's how one gets "buttery smooth bokeh."
04-20-2010, 06:25 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I HATE, let me say that again, HATE those damn styrofoam peanuts.
As a recipient of foam peanuts, I hate them too, because they get all over the place. At least put them in a few bags.