Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Can dust go under front element? DA.

Is it possible for dust to get under DA lenses... (specifically my DA L kit lens) I have some under the front element ;/ could it be from the focusing ring?

04-20-2010, 03:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Dust can enter pretty much any lens. It's normally nothing to worry about; it would have to be exceedingly large in order to show in a picture.
04-20-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
Is it possible for dust to get under DA lenses... (specifically my DA L kit lens) I have some under the front element ;/ could it be from the focusing ring?
Most dust won't be visible because it's out of the visual view of the lens, so don't worry about it unless it becomes a very large speck of dust that you can easily see. The same thing also goes with scratches and chips on the glass, you can't see them until they get fairly large.
04-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An experiment you might want to try to see how much dust really affects things. Take a post it note or similar (something that doesn't have strong glue on it) and cut about a 1/8 inch square piece. That is Certainly bigger than any dust spec. Place it anywhere on the front element (don't worry, you aren't going to hurt the coatings) or even on a filter that's on the lens. Somewhere off center. Now take a picture and describe what you see.

Until the lens is basically covered, as long as light can pass, it's usable. Dust gets sucked in via the focus and/or zoom mechanism. I'm sure it's even possible with sealed lenses. A few specs, as you've no doubt seen with your 135, not much of an issue (until you go to resell it)..

04-20-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Yea, it is totally normal and expected for pretty much every lens. Another way dust and enter a lens is when the lens is being built. When my friend got a brand new lens from canon it had a few dust spots in it already. However, as members have said they pretty much do not hurt the image quality at all so I would not be worried.
04-20-2010, 04:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tuner571 Quote
Yea, it is totally normal and expected for pretty much every lens. Another way dust and enter a lens is when the lens is being built. When my friend got a brand new lens from canon it had a few dust spots in it already. However, as members have said they pretty much do not hurt the image quality at all so I would not be worried.
You know that you can return a lens when that happens right? It's not like it happens enough though to where it's a problem, actually until you just said that I don't think that I have ever heard of that happening before. That is definitely very strange.
04-20-2010, 04:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Most Pentax primes are usually quite well sealed from dust except for the aperture lever at the rear which has an opening extends all the way to the aperture blades in the middle of the lens. Dust usually accumulates there. This applies to all Pentax lenses. Zoom lenses have more moving parts and dust might sneak in from underneath the zoom/focus rings too, but every design is different. You might dust you bags regularly to reduce the chance of dust getting inside your lenses.
04-20-2010, 05:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
You know that you can return a lens when that happens right? It's not like it happens enough though to where it's a problem, actually until you just said that I don't think that I have ever heard of that happening before. That is definitely very strange.
Yea, I know that you can, but he didn't want to bother with it. It was only two small specs that could only be seen with a flashlight shining through the lens. Also, they were on the outer edges of the glass so it really didn't hurt anything.

04-20-2010, 07:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
An experiment you might want to try to see how much dust really affects things. Take a post it note or similar (something that doesn't have strong glue on it) and cut about a 1/8 inch square piece. That is Certainly bigger than any dust spec. Place it anywhere on the front element (don't worry, you aren't going to hurt the coatings) or even on a filter that's on the lens. Somewhere off center. Now take a picture and describe what you see.

Until the lens is basically covered, as long as light can pass, it's usable. Dust gets sucked in via the focus and/or zoom mechanism. I'm sure it's even possible with sealed lenses. A few specs, as you've no doubt seen with your 135, not much of an issue (until you go to resell it)..

I got no sticky sticky paper ;/. That's sad, not even a post it. Oh well, I can believe you. Thanks guys btw! Still sorta new to these lens stuffs! Glad it isn't anything too serious. I REALLY don't want to clean a DA lens. LOL
04-21-2010, 10:01 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you want to try, how about a piece of cooked rice? A small blob of chewing gum? Silly putty?
04-21-2010, 10:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
If you want to try, how about a piece of cooked rice? A small blob of chewing gum? Silly putty?
I've seen a few photos that were taken with the dreaded "fungus" covering the front element and the photos that were coming from the lens were fine. I personally do no think that was a wise idea, but with fungus spread out on the front lens covering 60% of the lens shots were still unaffected. So a few specks of dust will not hurt image quality. On a DA L lens it might be cheaper to get a new lens if out of warranty repair is necessary. Seriously, stop worrying and just take photo, learn, and have fun!
04-21-2010, 01:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by theperception2008 Quote
I've seen a few photos that were taken with the dreaded "fungus" covering the front element and the photos that were coming from the lens were fine. I personally do no think that was a wise idea, but with fungus spread out on the front lens covering 60% of the lens shots were still unaffected. So a few specks of dust will not hurt image quality. On a DA L lens it might be cheaper to get a new lens if out of warranty repair is necessary. Seriously, stop worrying and just take photo, learn, and have fun!
Definitely ;D. I'll worry, just a bit though. Just took some pictures inside the school for a concert too. Lighting was pretty bad ;/ and found that I used my 135mm or my 50mm more than my kit lens.