Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Focusing screen removal

I posted a while back that had a spot in my viewfinder, well yesterday when I had the lens off I found it on the focusing screen. So I was just wondering if it is easy to remove it, but how much of a risk do I take in getting more crud in while i have it out?

04-21-2010, 10:26 AM   #2

Is this just a piece of pollen or dust on the screen? Or are you talking about removing the screen altogether. Can't imagine why anyone would want to remove the screen. Look up Copperhill Method on the Internet and try this first.
04-21-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the high-end Pentax DSLRs, the focus screen is designed to be interchangeable. It comes right out. On lower end models, it's possible but more work. However, the screens are somewhat fragile. It's hard to get it completely clean and back in without making it worse or possibly damaging it. A lot of cleaning chemicals will melt the screen. I leave mine in place and use a blower for dust.
04-21-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter

You can also take a dust blower and spray it into the chamber and try to dislodge if it's just a piece of dust. Without knowing what type of camera you're using it's tough to give sound advice. If it is a newer DSLR it's pretty simple to take out your focusing screen and either replace it or clean it.

04-21-2010, 11:05 AM   #5

I had dust on the focusing screen and decided to take it out and blow it off. It worked, but the dust returns. Every time you take out the screen you run a risk of scratching it or getting even more dust onto it. I've since stopped worrying about the dust on focusing screens since it doesn't affect my pictures. I would advise that you also leave it alone unless it is affecting your metering.

bb
04-21-2010, 11:21 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
it's a K20, but as far as what it is i do not know. I already tired to just blow it off but it looks like its on the other side of it.
04-21-2010, 12:45 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't have a link handy but there are a number of youtube vids showing removal/replacement of the focusing screen. Once you realize its just one clip holding it in and do it, the next time will take 20 seconds. Plastic tweezers or metal ones with some soft tape around the tips are needed to safely handle it if you are actually taking it out versus just blowing off the top while its unclipped.
04-21-2010, 06:37 PM   #8
Inactive Account

In addition to all of the above, once you remove the screen, you have exposed the bottom of the prism to dust. Dust is often static charged and will attract to exactly the place you don't want it.