Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2010, 01:25 PM   #1

expanded iso...and green/af/ae-l buttons...

I just acquired a kx last weekend and am slowly finding my way around and have lots of questions. For example, I notice that when I set the iso to expanded range, in every capture mode I can only go down to 200 iso and never 100, but can go all the way up to 12800. I don't really want to use iso 100 or 12800, but wonder why I can't set it to the expanded lower number if I have the expanded range turned on. Can anyone please explain why this is the case or if I am missing something here?

Also, I find the green button and ef/ae-l buttons confusing to understand, so any suggestions/links on how I can learn to use them will be welcome! Thanks so much!!!!

04-21-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi. Certainly works fine on mine.

When you say does not go down to 100 where abouts are you looking? For example on Auto ISO range the ISO will only go down to 100 - 200. If you want fixed ISO 100 then you go to manual ISO (down arrow on ISO screen).
04-21-2010, 01:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look here for on how to get ISO 100:

ISO 100

And here about the green button:

It's a Sticky
04-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by grinchicago Quote
I just acquired a kx last weekend and am slowly finding my way around and have lots of questions. For example, I notice that when I set the iso to expanded range, in every capture mode I can only go down to 200 iso and never 100, but can go all the way up to 12800. I don't really want to use iso 100 or 12800, but wonder why I can't set it to the expanded lower number if I have the expanded range turned on. Can anyone please explain why this is the case or if I am missing something here?

Also, I find the green button and ef/ae-l buttons confusing to understand, so any suggestions/links on how I can learn to use them will be welcome! Thanks so much!!!!
I do not have a K-x, and I assume you mean the AF/AE-L button.
The green button will, when not in green mode, set the camera to a shutter speed and / or aperture as if it was in green mode.
That is often a good place to start when changing anything by hand.

The AF/AEL function is Auto focus and Auto Exposure Lock.
Can be programmed to be and, either, or both.

What is AF lock?
When pressed focus is locked to what the AF selected focus point is directed at.

What is AEL?
When you point in a certain direction and press the AEL button and then recompose, the exposure is locked = not changed from the previous composition.
I you want to take a picture against the sun for instance, you could point the camera in a direction just without the sun, press AEL for the right lighting / exposure, then recompose with the sun in the picture and release the shutter.
The picture will be illuminated (is this correct english here?) as if the composition was done when you pressed the AEL button.

I hope this makes it more clear.

- Bert

04-22-2010, 03:06 AM   #5

Original Poster
way more helpful than the camera manual!

Thanks Bert (and others) for these speedy and incredibly helpful replies to my questions. I find the camera manual is often more confusing than informative; whereas your explanations are plain English that I can understand! Jeff.