Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2010, 03:54 AM   #1
Pentaxian

S.Kelby Digital Photography bundle

I just bought the bundle of volume 1, 2 3 of Digital Photography after reading some recommendation in this forum.
These are great books to start. I will recommended to anybody . Great trrick, simple to read, giving advice for many standard situation we have day after day.

I am sure I can improve my photos a lot in using his advice.

I also have preorder the Exposure book, Third edition is coming in August 2010

04-22-2010, 05:47 AM   #2
Forum Member

Books

I also have read his books. They are OK except his attempt at humor. I have found the best way to improve your photos is to apply one skill at a time. If you can find a photo club with experienced folks, go there for advice. You can post photos here for
advice also. One thing that I have found is every one has the own tastes. Some things like focus, DOF and white balance are basic. The rule of thirds and horizon etc. are all guidelines. I remember the old saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".
Be careful about buying too much stuff too soon. DO buy good batteries-they'll pay for themselves in the long run. Protect your lens with good filters too. You can read the forums here for more info. I like to think photography is like any human endeavor, you only get out of it by put effort into it. GET OUT THERE AND SHOOT !!!
04-22-2010, 05:53 AM   #3
Forum Member

Books

I forgot.. try looking at the magazine racks. There is a ton of info and pictures (B&W and Color) out there. I like the English mags best. They are a little expensive but the
paper on which they are printed is durable and the photos generally pop. I have read some that have tutorials also
04-22-2010, 06:38 AM   #4

arent theses books all the same?

I mean, they are 3 editions of the same book and buying the edition number 3 would give evrything already contained in 1 and 2 plus more updated stuff.

Is it right?

04-22-2010, 07:26 AM   #5
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by oliver939 Quote

I mean, they are 3 editions of the same book and buying the edition number 3 would give everything already contained in 1 and 2 plus more updated stuff.

Is it right?
In a word no. It is a continuing lesson. And yes I too have recommended them in the past. I also own all three. I have also given them as a gift to a couple of relatives and they have helped them also. For me it was an easy way to teach another person simple basics. And a "refresher" for me. (Sometimes it helps to go back to basics. I even do that with my work. And I've been doing that for over 30 years.?
04-22-2010, 11:52 AM   #6
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by oliver939 Quote

I mean, they are 3 editions of the same book and buying the edition number 3 would give evrything already contained in 1 and 2 plus more updated stuff.

Is it right?
They are all different. I would say that in vol. 3 he seems to be running out of material. His humor is not that bad. But, I hate when there are 4-5 tips exclusive to canon and nikon users like his flash tips. Also, being petty, it always bothered me that in the opening chapter he notes that although the images show canon and nikon cameras it also applies to all makes like 'Sony, Olympus, and Sigma.' What? No Pentax? Anyway on his website, he has updated it to no recognize Pentax.
04-22-2010, 09:09 PM   #7
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
They are all different. I would say that in vol. 3 he seems to be running out of material. His humor is not that bad. But, I hate when there are 4-5 tips exclusive to canon and nikon users like his flash tips. Also, being petty, it always bothered me that in the opening chapter he notes that although the images show canon and nikon cameras it also applies to all makes like 'Sony, Olympus, and Sigma.' What? No Pentax? Anyway on his website, he has updated it to no recognize Pentax.
Well we had the same thought there.