Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2010, 06:27 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Processing RAW files in Linux (Ubuntu)

I was going through the various discussions about "Processing RAW file in Linux".

I understand, GIMP does not support RAW, hence we need to have some plugin.

In one of the discussions, I found the following information:

QuoteQuote:
UFRaw has no sharpening (unless used as a Gimp plugin), Rawstudio has default sharpening to zero, raw therapee has some default sharpening (deselectable), and PPL reads sharpening level from PEF (default in the KD20 is +1).
Does any of our forum members do processing of RAW file in Linux? If yes, could you please share your experience on the tools and utilities like Rawstudio in Linux?

Thanks,
Krishna

04-22-2010, 06:37 AM   #2
Pentaxian

For visual RAW processing I use either UFRaw or RawTherapee but I find the most efficient way to convert raw is in batch mode, through a bash script that pipes the output from UFRaw into ImageMagick or GMIC for some final touches like LAB treatment, saturation correction and final sharpening.
04-22-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm still a beginner with PP.

I use UFRAW in batch mode (ufraw-batch) to convert from PEF to JPG. After that I review and use UFRAW to basically adjust exposure and resize. And that's all I do up to now (no sharpening at all).
04-22-2010, 08:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

UFRAW as a GIMP plugin does everything you'd want a RAW editor to do. As with all the GIMP features, it's less automated than other editors, but it's got a LOT of options, definitely fully functional

I used GIMP only for about 4 years, it's a really solid little program. The only reason I'm currently using Elements is that it came free with a printer, and there are soooo many useful plugins for Photoshop, because it's a pro tool that's been around so long. Honestly, the plugins are the only reason I'd switch

QuoteOriginally posted by krishna Quote
I was going through the various discussions about "Processing RAW file in Linux".

I understand, GIMP does not support RAW, hence we need to have some plugin.

In one of the discussions, I found the following information:

Does any of our forum members do processing of RAW file in Linux? If yes, could you please share your experience on the tools and utilities like Rawstudio in Linux?

Thanks,
Krishna

04-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

krishna, what's wrong with using UFRaw in GIMP? I use UFRaw in GIMP, and prefer to have it that way. Do you want it to use it as stand alone?

Ecaterin, I'm still a newbie on GIMP, but with PSPI, I can use almost every PS plugins that I needed.
04-22-2010, 10:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aseno Quote
krishna, what's wrong with using UFRaw in GIMP? I use UFRaw in GIMP, and prefer to have it that way. Do you want it to use it as stand alone?

Ecaterin, I'm still a newbie on GIMP, but with PSPI, I can use almost every PS plugins that I needed.
I found out about the GIMP photoshop plugin plugin riiiiight when I got photoshop elements - and said DRAT about 50 times! LOL!
04-22-2010, 08:35 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
UFRaw has no sharpening (unless used as a Gimp plugin), Rawstudio has default sharpening to zero, raw therapee has some default sharpening (deselectable), and PPL reads sharpening level from PEF (default in the KD20 is +1).
I am trying to identify the best option to process RAW file in Linux. I tried using GIMP and UFRaw and didn't find anything wrong.
04-23-2010, 12:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Currently i'm using UFRaw mit GIMP, but it's default processing lacks the nice colour pop of Pentax.
Still it has really nice exposure/curve adjustments, that allow to pull in a lot of DR.

Since i have no need for extensive RAW processing, it's good enough for me. The things that i miss are global option to reset defaults (settings stay even after exiting UFRAW - so if you've had some artsy cross-processing development, you'd have to go trought every setting, to restore original state), seperate curves for each colour channel and multiple image processing (where you can simply press accept and next in the same folder).

04-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
There is a project called BlueMarine (blueMarine - Home) which is supposed to be an opensource alternative to Lightroom. I haven't had time to try it out yet though. It uses Apache License and it is available for linux.

If you try it out, please report back and let me know how it works because it is on my list of things to do when I catch some free time.
04-23-2010, 10:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
The things that i miss are global option to reset defaults (settings stay even after exiting UFRAW - so if you've had some artsy cross-processing development, you'd have to go trought every setting, to restore original state), seperate curves for each colour channel and multiple image processing (where you can simply press accept and next in the same folder).
If you use UFRAW stand alone, you can influence that behaviour. If you use 'file save as', there is a field at the bottom of the screen called 'save image defaults'. Set it to 'just this once' and it will only remember those settings the first time you save a file. So make a default config (e.g. all settings neutral, file type jpg, quality 100%) and save; next time you save a file, changes in the config will not be saved.

I don't know if it works when you use UFRAW as a plugin.

You can also delete the file .ufrawrc (dot ufrawrc) in your home directory (may be safer to rename it so you can get it back).