Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2010, 07:45 AM   #1

Dust on Sensor

I'm sure this has been addressed multiple times--but--would any of you have some tips&tricks on clening the sensor--I have a K100D-and a istD--and it seems that when switching between lenses multiple times there is always a speck or two of dust that migrate to the sensor....

04-22-2010, 09:50 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
1. Turn off camera when changing lenses. The electricity going through the electronics attracts dust. This was the biggest help I found.

2. Remove the lens, then use the sensor cleaning function to flip the mirror up. Blast a half dozen blasts into mirror area (don't put blower inside the mount, though). Use a rocket blower with a big, repeat, big, bulb that can move a lot of air. The little 1-inch type that come with cleaning solution and tissue paper are not large enough.

3. Turn off the camera to drop the mirror.

4. Check the rear of the lens, then reattach it.

5. Shoot a blank white or gray wall at the smallest aperture you can (f 8 or f11 etc), and examine the shot for dust.

6. Repeat 2-5 as needed.

Last edited by SpecialK; 04-22-2010 at 10:06 AM.
04-22-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I would add a step to SpecialK procedure, between step 1 & 2, that is to use blower BEFORE going into sensor cleaning mode with mirror lockup, to blow dust from mirror box first.

First time may require 10 or more repeats of all steps. Once clean, yes, do turn off camera when changing lenses, then change quickly, with opening pointed downward.
04-22-2010, 05:54 PM   #4
Pentaxian

This always makes people cringe, but I use canned gas for routine sensor cleaning.
It seems to work.

04-23-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
1. Turn off camera when changing lenses. The electricity going through the electronics attracts dust. This was the biggest help I found.

2. Remove the lens, then use the sensor cleaning function to flip the mirror up. Blast a half dozen blasts into mirror area (don't put blower inside the mount, though). Use a rocket blower with a big, repeat, big, bulb that can move a lot of air. The little 1-inch type that come with cleaning solution and tissue paper are not large enough.

3. Turn off the camera to drop the mirror.

4. Check the rear of the lens, then reattach it.

5. Shoot a blank white or gray wall at the smallest aperture you can (f 8 or f11 etc), and examine the shot for dust.

6. Repeat 2-5 as needed.
This is pretty much it, however one important tip is to make sure that the camera is pointed down when changing lenses. That way you decrease the chances of something flying in. This tip also works when you are cleaning the sensor of dust with a blower. Anything that comes off the sensor simple falls out of the camera.
04-23-2010, 04:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As I have said in previous threads, I use an Arctic Butterly, an electrostatic brush that is compact and goes anywhere. Running this across the sensor a couple times works for me, though I only need to do so once every four or six months... and I change lenses all the time.

Buy the cheapest one available and read the directions.

P.S. Love Pentax dust reduction system!
04-27-2010, 03:58 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I use a "Digital Survival KIT". I'd only recommend this if your sensor is very dirty and a blower doesn't get all the dust out.