Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Extention Tube for Kx (and or) Macro Filter

I'm interested in trying out some maco shots and don't want to invest in the $ for a true macro lens just yet.

Would an extension tube work with my Kx kit lens if I put the camera in manual mode? Also thinking about getting an 8X Macro Effect Len Filter.

Lastly, are any brands ok? I stumbled on both of these at an online retailer for $8 and $10. Is that sketchy?

04-22-2010, 03:46 PM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the 90mm Tamron macro. I have bellows. I have an expensive Panagor macro tele-converter. But I have no interest in macro. (I don't want to shoot bugs. I want to step on them.)

I am incredibly impressed by the shots I see from the manual 50 Tak f4 macro, still available at reasonable prices. That lens just seems to the shortest shortcut to fantastic macro at lowest cost.
04-22-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Ira
04-22-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
xjx
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Quote
I'm interested in trying out some maco shots and don't want to invest in the $ for a true macro lens just yet.

Would an extension tube work with my Kx kit lens if I put the camera in manual mode? Also thinking about getting an 8X Macro Effect Len Filter.

Lastly, are any brands ok? I stumbled on both of these at an online retailer for $8 and $10. Is that sketchy?
With the extension tubes you won't be able to change the aperture of the kit lens --- it is always at the smallest setting. Of course you can use tape to fix the lever before mounting the lens.

An old lens with aperture ring works much better.

04-22-2010, 06:57 PM   #5

You could also check out the Vivitar 55mm 2.8 Macro (Make sure it's the macro version). Its a true 1:1 macro and quite a bit cheaper than the Tak but a good lens nonetheless. The problem is finding one I recently was outbid for one on Ebay and haven't seen one since
04-22-2010, 07:11 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by xjx Quote
With the extension tubes you won't be able to change the aperture of the kit lens --- it is always at the smallest setting.
Not necessarily correct.

Whether or not the camera can control the aperture of the lens (with no aperture ring, or with the aperture ring set at "A") depends on the extension tube. If the tube has electrical contacts (pK-A mount) then the camera can. Another benefit of extension tubes with electrical contacts is that p-TTL flash is fully supported.

Extension tubes with electrical contacts are somewhat rare but they do exist (I have one). Many people remove optics of teleconverters and use them as extension tubes. I have several. This is an example:

04-22-2010, 10:58 PM   #7
xjx
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Not necessarily correct.

Whether or not the camera can control the aperture of the lens (with no aperture ring, or with the aperture ring set at "A") depends on the extension tube. If the tube has electrical contacts (pK-A mount) then the camera can. Another benefit of extension tubes with electrical contacts is that p-TTL flash is fully supported.

Extension tubes with electrical contacts are somewhat rare but they do exist (I have one). Many people remove optics of teleconverters and use them as extension tubes. I have several. This is an example:

Hmm, I stand corrected. However, those are not the $8 or $10 versions anyway.
04-23-2010, 10:01 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Want to that everyone for this info.

I don't think I'll go with the Extension - exept if I can get one like SOldbears . I'll pick up the 8x macro filter being the sport that I am ($8).

Eventually I'd like to pick up a Vivitar 55mm 2.8 Macro (thanks Privateryan) or the manual 50 Tak f4 macro lens.

I was also wondering if using a reverse mount adapter is a good way to test the waters with macro (better than using an Extention Tube with the Kx kit lens)?

04-23-2010, 10:12 AM   #9
xjx
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Quote
Want to that everyone for this info.

I don't think I'll go with the Extension - exept if I can get one like SOldbears . I'll pick up the 8x macro filter being the sport that I am ($8).

Eventually I'd like to pick up a Vivitar 55mm 2.8 Macro (thanks Privateryan) or the manual 50 Tak f4 macro lens.

I was also wondering if using a reverse mount adapter is a good way to test the waters with macro (better than using an Extention Tube with the Kx kit lens)?
With reverse mount adapter you can always use your finger to push the lever to keep the aperture open. Easy to get tired though.
04-23-2010, 10:14 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Don't be too hasty in deciding not to use extension tubes. I have an old smc 50mm f/1.4 from KEH for $60 in BGN quality and some vivitar auto extension tubes (no idea what the auto is for) for another $50. For $110, they can give some pro results.

I set the aperture manually on the lens to f/11 or so. Shutter is around 1/180th to prevent subject/camera movement. ISO depends on lighting, usually ISO 200 will do. With a flash diffuser for the onboard flash that reaches over the lens, you can get great soft light.

Last edited by enoeske; 04-23-2010 at 10:19 AM.
04-23-2010, 12:04 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Wow... these are really nice! Thanks for sharing.

I never heard of KEH before (total newbe) and will be checking them out. I would have been nervous about buying BNG quality. There website mentiions that the glass on BNG "may have marks and/or blemishes that should not affect picture quality".

Generally speaking, do you find that to be true as far as not affecting picture quality?

I could care less about cosmetic digs.

Thanks again!
04-23-2010, 12:08 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From what everyone says, BGN at KEH is just fine. My 50 has some cosmetic problems, brassing and finish worn down, and a damaged filter ring (which I could fix if needed). Optically, the glass is prefect. Sharpest lens I own (which isn't many)
04-23-2010, 12:14 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
That's good to know. Thanks
04-23-2010, 12:26 PM   #14
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Don't be too hasty in deciding not to use extension tubes. I have an old smc 50mm f/1.4 from KEH for $60 in BGN quality and some vivitar auto extension tubes (no idea what the auto is for) for another $50. For $110, they can give some pro results.

I set the aperture manually on the lens to f/11 or so. Shutter is around 1/180th to prevent subject/camera movement. ISO depends on lighting, usually ISO 200 will do. With a flash diffuser for the onboard flash that reaches over the lens, you can get great soft light.

Outstanding!!!

But if you do the math for cost, won't the Tak macro give you the same capabilities at the same cost? Just asking.

And what do you mean by onboard flash over the lens? A bracket that extends?
04-23-2010, 01:08 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Outstanding!!!

But if you do the math for cost, won't the Tak macro give you the same capabilities at the same cost? Just asking.

And what do you mean by onboard flash over the lens? A bracket that extends?
I used the built in pop up flash is all but the 2nd one of those shots. I have a DIY flash diffuser that extends past the front of the lens. That way, the flash shoots forward, then gets diffused onto the subject in front of the lens, below the diffuser material.