Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2010, 10:35 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought a seagate external hard drive and love it. It was not that expensive and now I have 500gb harddrive full of backups of all my pictures. It is a very nice way to keep things in order, just make sure that the hard drive is not the only place you back up your photos.

04-23-2010, 10:53 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Naturenut Quote
Hi guys. Me again.

So I'm in the market for an external hard drive to back everything up. Do you have any suggestions as to what make/size I should look for? I primarily want something to back up my PC and my photos for 'safe' keeping.
Since your laptop HD is 320Gb, you want something bigger than that for sure.
WD, Seagate, & Lacie are popular brand but I got AcomData Ext HDD from Frys and it's been running without a hiccup for the last 3 years.
I found out that the HDD inside is made by WD also.

There are several type of external HDD. Ones that use external power (from AC outlet, bigger, not so portable, cheaper) and ones that draw power from USB (this is the portable type and smaller, easy to carry around, more expensive).

If your laptop has eSATA port, it's good to get ext HDD with eSATA port since you can transfer a lot of big data faster compared to USB alone.
04-23-2010, 10:55 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
By the way, does anyone have any favorite mirroring programs they want to share?
I use Acronis True Image Home...they give free software to try and it's good if you just want to transfer mirrored HDD from old computer to a new one.
04-23-2010, 11:28 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I have two external drives, one specifically for backing up my notebook and the other for my media (video, mp3, photos, etc...). The one for my notebook is an older 250gb WD Passport that needs external power. My notebook is only 160GB so it was adequate. For my media, I have a 1TB WD Passport that I bought for around $80. It was on Sale at Best Buy and originally made for a Mac, but of course, hard drives are the same so I just reformatted the thing to work on my PC.

04-24-2010, 12:25 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tuner571 Quote
I bought a seagate external hard drive and love it. It was not that expensive and now I have 500gb harddrive full of backups of all my pictures. It is a very nice way to keep things in order, just make sure that the hard drive is not the only place you back up your photos.
I ended up ordering one of these from QVC of all places. lol I was channel surfing last night and landed on them discussing/pimping this exact item. They had it on sale with free shipping and '3 easy payments', so I said what the hell, I'll get it. ;-)

I also picked up a 16GB SDHC memory card (only had a 4GB in camera) and got an 8BG flash drive as well. Then stupidly I got some CD-RW disks from Staples that were on sale...and now I have to bring them back because my laptop does DVD. Doh! Oh well, that'll teach me not to pay attention to such details before I go buy stuff. hee hee
04-25-2010, 06:15 AM   #21
Veteran Member

If it's a DVD writer, it will also write CD-RW
04-25-2010, 12:25 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Naturenut Quote
I ended up ordering one of these from QVC of all places. lol I was channel surfing last night and landed on them discussing/pimping this exact item. They had it on sale with free shipping and '3 easy payments', so I said what the hell, I'll get it. ;-)

I also picked up a 16GB SDHC memory card (only had a 4GB in camera) and got an 8BG flash drive as well. Then stupidly I got some CD-RW disks from Staples that were on sale...and now I have to bring them back because my laptop does DVD. Doh! Oh well, that'll teach me not to pay attention to such details before I go buy stuff. hee hee
Wow, I didn't even know that QVC would sell that type of item. I found mine on newegg when they were having some specials on their homepage and decided to pick one up as well. Now that I have it I am really glad I picked one up as it is extremely useful.
04-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #23
Veteran Member

As others have said it depends on whether you require a very portable HDD or one to leave plugged in on you computer.

Portable ones are very good in that most now run just off USB cords. This is a real asset when travelling. Most now are only the size of a wallet or something and pretty tough.

If it's just for backup, the best backup is to have your files with some sort of professional data storage company. Some photography sites will also allow you to have large files uploaded to them for backup.

For myself, I have a backup on each of the two HDD, original DNG RAW and processed TIFFs, and one online backup of TIFFs (as my site provider doesn't provide RAW compatibility).

04-25-2010, 02:01 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Oh I thought I'd add I had a generic cheap HDD 500GB that failed.
I have a Seagate 500GB HDD that is working fine after a year or so, and an Adata portable HDD that was a cheapie but is working fine after a bit less than a year. It came with a protective pouch and is also meant to be ok if dropped from up to two metres or something like that. Not sure what their reliability is like, they're quite cheap (they make SD cards I don't trust much) but so far so good.
04-25-2010, 10:34 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
For myself, I have a backup on each of the two HDD, original DNG RAW and processed TIFFs, and one online backup of TIFFs (as my site provider doesn't provide RAW compatibility).
What is RAW compatibility? A file is a file.
04-26-2010, 04:30 AM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
If it's a DVD writer, it will also write CD-RW
Yeah I have always understood that to be true but I can not find the option to choose CD. It only 'offers' me DVD as an option, which is odd (I think).
04-26-2010, 06:47 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Which operating system? Which program to burn CDs (Nero, Roxio or even something else if you're in the Windows world).
04-26-2010, 07:06 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have a bunch of WD Passports, plus a Netgear ReadyNas, which has RAID drives.

Has anyone here used one of those stand-alone drives that backs up an SD card without a computer?
04-26-2010, 03:16 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
What is RAW compatibility? A file is a file.
I'm running my site through zenfolio, and they will provide unlimited space (on my plan) for up to 25MB (individual size) TIFF files, but no RAW file types.
04-26-2010, 03:31 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thrillerb Quote
Can I suggest a Windows Home Server? It costs more than an external drive but it will automatically backup multiple computers on a schedule that you set, stream music, act as a file server, etc.

I've been very happy with mine and it worked like a charm when I had to move move my data to a new hard drive.
I recommend CrashPlan to backup automatically to your external drives. It is available free for home use and can control backing up to multiple archives.

I use it to copy to three external drives. One I keep offsite at my work (and rotate this one about 1 a month). One I keep hidden onsite, and one I use as a spare.

I always buy drives that cost about $100, and archive the old drives. I've had 3 complete hard drive failures (A seagate, a WD and a Samsung) in the last 2 years, all within warrenty and fully restored from my external drives. As supported by a Google white paper hard drive brand is irrelevant to longterm performance.

Also I don't find it a resource hog which is very nice.

You can get it here:

Last edited by omega leader; 04-26-2010 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Added failed drive brands for reference.