Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-27-2010, 01:21 PM   #31
Inactive Account

Does MAC have an equivalent, or will the Windows Home Server work on a MAC?

04-27-2010, 04:15 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes there is a equivalent on the Mac. The Apple back up program is called Time Machine. It will allow you to back up wireless to a Time Capsule which also functions as a router and you can create a home network with multiple Mac's. You can also use it to print wireless, but you can't stream music. For that you need a additional Air Port Express Base Station. For backing up with Time Machine on a not wireless external hard drive you can use any hard drive as long as it is formatted for use with a Mac. And even then you can format it yourself.

I' am less familiar with the Windows solution but it wouldn't surprise me if that works also with a Mac. Certainly if you use Windows trough Boot Camp on your Mac.
04-30-2010, 08:28 PM   #33
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PhotoFrk Quote
This is from Microsoft:

Mac users benefit from almost all of the capabilities of Windows Home Server. Mac users can access Windows Home Server as a file server and have the ability to view and save files to shared folders. Mac-based computers can also remotely access Windows Home Server. Although the Windows Home Server automatic backup functionality is only available for Windows XP and Windows Vista computers, Mac users can run their own backup software that redirects backup files to the home server. Note: The HP MediaSmart Server includes Mac backup functionality.

WHS isn't just a software package that you install on your PC to automate backups. It requires it's own dedicated PC in order to run. You can build your own WHS system using an older PC or you can purchase a pre-built system. (I have a pre-built the HP MediaSmart Server) In either case, you have to install software on the machine that will be backed up.

Last edited by thrillerb; 04-30-2010 at 08:34 PM. Reason: added info
04-30-2010, 08:33 PM   #34
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PhotoFrk Quote
Question for more technical users-

If you have a mac (or linux PC for that matter) and a remote server, can't you just run rsync via shell to back up all your files?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-02-2010, 07:20 AM   #35

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Yes there is a equivalent on the Mac. The Apple back up program is called Time Machine. It will allow you to back up wireless to a Time Capsule which also functions as a router and you can create a home network with multiple Mac's. You can also use it to print wireless, but you can't stream music. For that you need a additional Air Port Express Base Station. For backing up with Time Machine on a not wireless external hard drive you can use any hard drive as long as it is formatted for use with a Mac. And even then you can format it yourself.

I' am less familiar with the Windows solution but it wouldn't surprise me if that works also with a Mac. Certainly if you use Windows trough Boot Camp on your Mac.
You don't even need a Time Capsule. Any network-connected drive can act as a wireless backup for Time Machine. Personally, I prefer to use an AirPort Extreme Base Station or a Time Capsule, though, since Apple routers are quite awesome (except for not including an audio port on those two. Damn you, Apple!).

Time Machine backs-up your changes automatically every hour, unless you choose to do it manually. It keeps hourly, then daily, weekly, monthly backups as you go back through time. It will, however, keep taking up more space until it runs out and starts deleting older backups for new ones (it will warn you), and you can't simply delete backups manually, so it's best to partition the drive or have a dedicated drive. Time Machine makes it very easy to find something back in time, though, as you can launch the Time Machine app and search for a word and it will show you the results for each backup as you go back through time.

And this reminds me that I need to backup the other hard drive in my computer!

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Question for more technical users-

If you have a mac (or linux PC for that matter) and a remote server, can't you just run rsync via shell to back up all your files?
Yes, I know you always could with earlier OS versions, so I'm sure you still can. I just never did it. I'm sure there's plenty in Google about it, though.