Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2010, 01:43 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Flash or Tripod

Since I got my K20d, I have been scouting for accessories here in the Philippines which you cannot find much and if there are, prices are double with what is being offered in US market. How pathetic since some cameras are manufactured here. Since a tripod can be used by any camera thinking of buying it than the flash but was wondering which one would be more useful to me. I love shooting in available light, nature and architecture not much with portraits.

04-23-2010, 07:35 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

If you are shooting things that aren't moving, I would vote for the tripod. Your distance isn't limited as with a flash and using available light generally gives a much more pleasing effect.
04-23-2010, 08:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
If you are shooting things that aren't moving, I would vote for the tripod. Your distance isn't limited as with a flash and using available light generally gives a much more pleasing effect.
I would agree on this one too - sounds like that is your preferred shooting style by your last sentence also (available light, architecture, landscape/nature). Definitely go for the tripod - a flash would have limited use for your intended purpose.
04-23-2010, 09:41 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now that the other two posters have decided you should buy a tripod, and given your statement, I agree, What is your budget? I ask because the next logical question is Which tripod... You can spend pennies on junk, dollars on decent and usable, or a Lot on great.

04-23-2010, 10:49 AM   #5

JeffJS is right. Take it from someone who made the mistake. Buy the right one the first time around. By "right one" I am saying spend enough to get a good one. If you purchase a sub-par model, you will undoubtedly be frustrated and end up buying another, more expensive one later.
04-23-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I have never bought anything that was high quality and later wished I had bought junk instead.
04-23-2010, 12:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Just another suggestion before you go out and buy your best tripod,
make sure you find the LIGHTEST and the BEST tripod you CAN AFFORD.
Sorry for the capitals .. I just like to emphasize the importance of it.

If you don't like carrying flash around, you won't like to carry heavy tripod around even more.
I have a good & stable tripod but not lightweight enough for me to carry around.
That makes me regret the purchase a bit but at least I'm happy because that's the lightest & best tripod I can afford
If I could afford more, I'll definitely buy the lighter one.
Now I found out that I like shooting outdoor portrait more so the tripod is hardly used.

04-23-2010, 03:55 PM   #8

Original Poster
thank you guys, now I have to scout for a good tripod. Good tripod here would cost more less around US$500 beyond my budget but I think can find one good enough