Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2010, 02:29 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

question about flash

Hey all, please excuse my dumb question, this is my first time looking into flashes.

I'm interested in purchasing a flash and among my options is a Promaster 7200EDF for my Pentax K-x. In the Google Shopping search results, it shows 7200EDF for Nikkon, 7200EDF for Cannon, 7200EDF for Pentax, etc.

My question is fairly simple: Are the flashes made for the specific brand or is that just the way they are being advertised? [would the 7200EDF for Nikkon still mount to my K-x? Or would I have to purchase the pentax-specific listing?]

Thanks,
Pat

04-23-2010, 02:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nope, they are dedicated to a brand.
The contact points are often at slightly different locations, and communication protocols are vastly differents.
04-23-2010, 03:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have a Promaster 5250DX. It's a two piece flash-the flash unit itself and a module which is Pentax-compatible with Manual, Auto, and TTL modes. There is also a module for this flash which is P-TTL, and modules compatible with other camera makes.

I think all the Promasters are like that.
04-23-2010, 04:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
I have a Promaster 5250DX. It's a two piece flash-the flash unit itself and a module which is Pentax-compatible with Manual, Auto, and TTL modes. There is also a module for this flash which is P-TTL, and modules compatible with other camera makes.

I think all the Promasters are like that.
Promaster makes two lines -- the 5000 series uses modules like you describe (basically, the flash has interchangeable "feet" which contain the different protocol electronics). The 7000 series comes in different "dedicated" versions for each camera brand.

04-23-2010, 05:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Promaster makes two lines -- the 5000 series uses modules like you describe (basically, the flash has interchangeable "feet" which contain the different protocol electronics). The 7000 series comes in different "dedicated" versions for each camera brand.
Oops, my bad. Thanks for the correction.
04-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
TAP
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
one final question:

thanks guys for the responses, i figured they'd be brand specific.

I have one last question regarding flashes. At home I have a Sunpak auto 422 D. I had heard that using an incompatible flash on a DSLR could cause a major problem, but I saw in another thread that someone was using this flash with his K100D. would this flash be compatible with my Kx?