Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2010, 04:26 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Perrumpo Quote
Weary?

I haven't had very good luck with this lens indoors. It's been fine outdoors with a smaller aperture, but most shots wide open aren't sharp at all, even with a tripod. I realize this isn't one of the general characteristics of this lens, but no matter how careful I am to focus (AF is pretty bad, too), they're not sharp. Not sure what else to try.
Maybe I was weary. I did work out that morning, maybe I was too fatigued to lift a camera because of it.

I have a friend that also has a K-x and 55-300 lens. He wasn't getting sharp images either and actually sent it in to Pentax to get it tuned up (is this the correct expression for lens maintenance?). This was obviously not a free solution, but he said when it came back he was able to get the sharpness he was looking for.

Does anyone else have similar experience with this lens?

05-02-2010, 08:35 PM   #32

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BlueBubbleBoy Quote
Maybe I was weary. I did work out that morning, maybe I was too fatigued to lift a camera because of it.

I have a friend that also has a K-x and 55-300 lens. He wasn't getting sharp images either and actually sent it in to Pentax to get it tuned up (is this the correct expression for lens maintenance?). This was obviously not a free solution, but he said when it came back he was able to get the sharpness he was looking for.

Does anyone else have similar experience with this lens?
Interesting. I still have a few weeks to test it out before I have to decide to keep, get a replacement, or return to Amazon, at least. We'll see how the coming weeks turn out.
05-02-2010, 10:48 PM   #33
Veteran Member

That's not a large enough image to judge sharpness, and the EXIF info is missing - could you post a crop of the in focus area, and make sure the EXIF is present?
05-02-2010, 11:20 PM   #34
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I have been getting some very sharp pictures with the k-x and da 55-300m ... that last one looks better ...

remember the dof is very thin
test shots at the zoo with the da 55-300mm

05-07-2010, 02:19 AM   #35
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Perrumpo Quote
Sure thing. I can't remember if this was AF or manual, but either way, I was getting the same results at 200mm and longer. Sometimes the petals were more focused-looking, but still not sharp. This was on a tripod with remote. I don't think that I simply needed to be further away because the focusing ring was not at one extreme or the other. Btw, my 50-200mm was clear during the same shot at 200mm.
I wonder whether that shot was focused correctly - are you zooming first, then holding steady before engaging AF and locking focus? If you're certain of no user factors causing the softness, then it may be a slight front-focusing issue, which can be sorted out with the fine AF adjustment feature. But exhaust all other possibilities first before resorting to any AF adjustments.
05-07-2010, 04:16 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Perrumpo, it looks to me like you lens isn't calibrated right. I probably would send it with the camera to Pentax and have them look at it. If you are on a stable tripod and in the focus range, the photos should be sharp. It should be covered by Pentax (unless you dropped it or did something to it).

This is another photo with the DA 55-300, this one hand held on the K20, iso 1600.

05-07-2010, 08:41 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I wonder whether that shot was focused correctly - are you zooming first, then holding steady before engaging AF and locking focus? If you're certain of no user factors causing the softness, then it may be a slight front-focusing issue, which can be sorted out with the fine AF adjustment feature. But exhaust all other possibilities first before resorting to any AF adjustments.
I agree that that is exactly what it looks like: not in focus anywhere as though it wasn't in the proper range. But I tried several times and am quite sure I used the lens correctly. Yes, I zoomed first and then gave AF its time to focus. I tried fine-tuning it with the focusing ring, even. Also, I used the center focal-point setting so that it wouldn't grab random parts of the plants.

I used the Raynox 150 on it, too, with the same results. Clear up to 200mm, then not sharp at all no matter how I fine-tune the focus. That was manual and on a tripod.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Perrumpo, it looks to me like you lens isn't calibrated right. I probably would send it with the camera to Pentax and have them look at it. If you are on a stable tripod and in the focus range, the photos should be sharp. It should be covered by Pentax (unless you dropped it or did something to it).
Very clear image. After your responses, I'm going to order a replacement from Amazon. That's the easiest thing for me to do to see if it makes a difference since Amazon's policy is so great. I'll be sure to post back.

Here are large clickable photos. Sorry about the EXIF, Marc. I checked these, but I'll type it anyway.

97.5mm, f/4, 1/25, ISO 200

210mm, f/7.1, 1/8, ISO 200

70mm w/Raynox 150, f/5.6, 1/6, ISO 200

210mm w/ Raynox 150, f/5.6, 1/13, ISO 200

05-24-2010, 09:00 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry, just want to revisit this again. I had just a few minutes to take a few test shots today. My old tripod sucks, so I set up my camera sitting on a mat outside so there would be no hand shaking when taking the pictures. I've posted a couple of examples with the EXIF info. As expected, at a wide open aperture the picture is softer, but is it normally this soft? Only PP work was adjusting exposure, cropping, and resizing the image in GIMP. Just want to make sure my results are typical. Thanks for any input.

1st shot: f/5.6, 1/200s, ISO-800, 260mm
2nd shot: f/9, 1/80s, ISO-800, 260mm

Last edited by BlueBubbleBoy; 02-08-2011 at 11:32 AM.