Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2010, 09:58 PM   #1

Newbie help :) Continuous shoot

Hi all.

I'm a recent owner of a Pentax KX and I just want to know if this is normal.

I like to shoot in continuous mode, and it snaps 3 shots rapidly and then a delays for 1 second before shooting another snap. Is this normal?

I'm currently using SD class 4 card 16 gig. Would a higher class SD card increase my snaps beyond 3 shots per second?

04-23-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
Forum Member

Are you shooting RAW or jpg?

Last edited by thrillerb; 04-23-2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: I can't spell and/or type.
04-23-2010, 10:19 PM   #3

Original Poster
I'm shooting in jpg.
04-23-2010, 10:39 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kooldavid Quote
Hi all.

I'm a recent owner of a Pentax KX and I just want to know if this is normal.

I like to shoot in continuous mode, and it snaps 3 shots rapidly and then a delays for 1 second before shooting another snap. Is this normal?

I'm currently using SD class 4 card 16 gig. Would a higher class SD card increase my snaps beyond 3 shots per second?
There several reasons for which your camera will slow down in Hi continuous shooting. These include:
- the image files size is big and the buffer fills up quickly,
- the SD card is too slow, and the pictures must be stored in the buffer until they can be written,
- the in-camera post-processing (PP) requires a lot of CPU and slows down the camera,

Your description is limited. From what you describe, I would suspect very strongly the PP. Do make sure that all in-camera PP is killed off, including the lens distortion correction, ...

Also your card is relatively slow. Get a class 10 if you want to do some long Hi continuous shooting sequences.

More, for long continuous shooting sequences, set the file type and size to JPEG 6Mp or less.

I would recommend also to do a search in www.Pentaxforums.com for a number of relevant threads on continous shooting. There have been quite a few in the last 4 weeks.

Hope that the comments will help....

04-23-2010, 10:51 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you very much hcc^^
It was indeed the lens distortion which was left ticked. Even with that untick now, it is still slow but at least it's better than before

I will take your advice and get a class 10 card. Cheers.
04-23-2010, 11:02 PM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kooldavid Quote
Thank you very much hcc^^
It was indeed the lens distortion which was left ticked. Even with that untick now, it is still slow but at least it's better than before

I will take your advice and get a class 10 card. Cheers.
Glad that the comment helps. Your K-x has a relatively small buffer, compared to the K-7. Try as much as possible not to fill the buffer too rapidly. A few tricks will help:
- get a fast card,
- set the files to JPEG 6Mp (or smaller), and
- kill off the PP.

See for example the recent thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/98964-k-7-continuo...g-problem.html.

I found that my K-7 default setup does include some PP, and it helps to switch off all forms of PP. This is especially important when your buffer is small like the K-x.