Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2010, 08:29 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I just purchased a DA 50-200mm lens from here, and am loving it! I'm about to buy the M 1.7 50mm off of here too. It doesn't matter if there's a scratch on it and it's not affecting the IQ right? Thanks for all your advice guys!

04-30-2010, 12:05 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MitchellScott Quote
I just purchased a DA 50-200mm lens from here, and am loving it! I'm about to buy the M 1.7 50mm off of here too. It doesn't matter if there's a scratch on it and it's not affecting the IQ right? Thanks for all your advice guys!
Scratches usually look really bad, but don't affect the images that much. A scratch on the rear element seems to be worse than on the front, if only because the rear element is smaller - a scratch the same size affects a larger percentage of the area.

It will affect value and ease of resale. I put up this lens for sale in the marketplace at the same time as two other M50/1.7s:

The other two were $50 and sold right away. This one was $30 and did not sell. I do not think the chip degrades image quality at all, let alone 40%. As long as you don't intend to sell, this doesn't matter.