Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
Inactive Account

New to DSLR's

Hey everyone I'm new to photography and just got a Pentax K-X with the DAL 18-55mm kit lens. I was wondering what the difference between the lens I have now and DA 18-55mm lens is. Also what would be another good lens to start out with? I'm looking into the SIGMA 50-200mm f/4-5.6, Pentax DA 50-200mm, or Sears 1:2.8 135mm. Here is first photo I took today with my new camera. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 

Last edited by MitchellScott; 04-24-2010 at 05:31 PM.
04-24-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you asked what sort of automobile you should buy, we would want to know whether your intention is to impress chicks or to haul a load of bricks.

Similarly, in order to know what sort of lens to recommend, it is necessary to ask "What sort of use do you plan for it?"
04-24-2010, 06:01 PM   #3
Forum Member

Hi Mitchell...... welcome to the Forum... tons of info here as well as good advice on photography from fellow shooters. Just ask away... always someone to chat with.
Concerning lenses, click on the heading at top of HOME page for LENSES,good way to learn about Pentax glass as well as 3 rd party options.
DA series of 18-55 (AL & AL II) differ from yours in a number of features,notably the "quick-focus "feature as well as metal mounts as opposed to plastic on the DA L series.
Depending on your photo interests,there are a lot of great lenses to pick from. The DA 50-200mm is a fairly decent lens as a cheaper "add-on" for your extra lens. They can usually be found in the MARKETPLACE here on the forum(used),under items for sale & reasonably priced.
Good luck with your new camera.... do some research on what interests you & keep Clickin`
04-24-2010, 06:10 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Interchangeable Lenses : Digital Cameras : Imaging Systems Division : PENTAX

Please visit the above link where you can find the lens development roadmap.

04-24-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Since you're new to having a DSLR, I would recommend the DA 50-200mm to go with your kit lens, that pair will make an excellent start for you, and in a little bit if you'd like you can get a fast 50mm lens to go with them.
04-24-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Pretty much in order to help you. You will need to provide the details of your ventures. All those lenses can get good in different situations and really depends on what you need it for. If your not sure and just want another lens. You have entered the LBA club. Out of your choices I'd go with the DA 50-200 just for an all arounder.
04-24-2010, 07:21 PM   #7

I asked the same question as you a few months ago, and pretty much followed jct's advise. The kit lens and 70-200 will have you feeling that there's pretty much no photo you "can't" shoot because of equipment.

The advice re the "fast" 50mm is spot on too. I use a cheap 50mm 1.7 lens with some pretty awesome results.

04-24-2010, 09:08 PM   #8
wjt
Veteran Member

If you are unsure just go with zooms.. after you are comfortable with them you will get a better impression of what prime lenses you want. For example you can shoot at 135mm and see if you find it acceptable or if you want something wider or shoot at 50mm and see if that works for you. You can get a M50mm 1.4 or 1.7 reasonably cheap for a low light lens (this is a fully manual lens so you will need to read on how to use it on a digital body).
With a fast 50 and the 2 zooms you should be able understand what different apertures and different focal lengths are going to do, and what YOU want, after that the possibilities are only constrained by your budget, read all the reviews about the lens you are looking at... user reviews not the technical ones. And most of all have fun

If you have cash you want to throw about, and of the FA and DA limited lenses are by all accounts fantastic lenses.
04-24-2010, 09:47 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MitchellScott Quote
Hey everyone I'm new to photography and just got a Pentax K-X with the DAL 18-55mm kit lens. I was wondering what the difference between the lens I have now and DA 18-55mm lens is. Also what would be another good lens to start out with? I'm looking into the SIGMA 50-200mm f/4-5.6, Pentax DA 50-200mm, or Sears 1:2.8 135mm. Here is first photo I took today with my new camera. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Nice Wayfarers.. Had a pair just like them since 1995 and is the only pair of sunglasses I've bought in that time.. You'll probably get more mileage out of a 50-200. Can't speak on the Sigma but the Pentax is pretty good. Didn't care a whole lot for it myself, 200mm was never enough so I sold mine years ago.

If it hasn't already been mentioned (I would be surprised), be careful on that sears 135. They are NOT all created equal. Some have large flanges that prevent them from going on to the DSLR Pentax mount. Even though they fit the Film camera Pentax mounts. Others suffer from the dreaded Ricoh Pin Syndrome (RPS) where a pin on them will drop into the AF screw on the Pentax AF mount. That will essentially lock the lens on the camera. Some of the sears 135s have Both these issues. If you're willing to tinker with them, both problems can easily be overcome but do be aware of them.

Really though I would suggest getting to know the camera and practicing a bit before jumping into Lens buying. Unless you really know what you want to do, you'll end up with a shelf full of glass that never gets used (like I have)...

Good luck and enjoy the new camera..

04-24-2010, 11:26 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
All you guys have been so helpful. Thanks for all the greatd advice! I think I'm going to go with the M 1.7 50mm and the DA 50-200mm lenses and snag them off of EBay for cheap. I've been fooling around with my camera a bit more today on manual and I think I enjoy it more than having it on AF. What setting do you guys usually keep your camera on? I'm looking for a good overall setting. Right now it's on AV. Also, is it a good idea to enable the highlight correction feature? Thanks again!
04-25-2010, 12:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Nice sunglasses Mitch .-)

I personally use manual lenses on a K100D and it is set to AV all the time. I use EV-compensation but I don't know if that is the same what you have called highlight correction.

If you have a non-A manual k-mount lens (like the M1.7/50) you have to pre-measure the stopped down light value on all stop-downed shots in the M-mode - that is to say the AV-mode will only really work with full open aperture on such a lens.

An easier way to use manual lenses in AV-mode on the DSLR is to use lenses which will stop down immediately once you turn the aperture dial.

That's why I have removed the aperture lever on one of my M1.7/50 lenses.

Matter of taste but that's my 2ct.

Greetings from the manual focus guy,
Georg
04-27-2010, 04:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Wayfarers are making a bit of a comeback... been seeing a few around. Might have to dig out my semi-unique pair of 'folding' Wayfarers and look 'hip'

I have a 50-200 and it can take surprisingly sharp pics when you 'get all your ducks lined up'. It's good value.
04-29-2010, 08:34 PM   #13

Also a newbie to K-x and love the camera - I bought a Tamron 18-200 ans their 55-300 and they are fine in bright light.(I primarily shoot landscapes and use the result as a "Underpainting" printed on watercolor paper for my finished pastels. So, true exactness of color isnt normally important to me. I might get a older manual 1.8 50mm for indoor uses. I dont know what you will use your pics for but if they all are as good as the Sunglasses in your example you will come up with some good ideas from this forum. What helps me is that most folks include good info about the shot submitted like, camera, lens , exposure etc. - HAVE FUN and keep posting your work - thanks - Tony
04-29-2010, 09:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MitchellScott Quote
All you guys have been so helpful. Thanks for all the greatd advice! I think I'm going to go with the M 1.7 50mm and the DA 50-200mm lenses and snag them off of EBay for cheap. I've been fooling around with my camera a bit more today on manual and I think I enjoy it more than having it on AF. What setting do you guys usually keep your camera on? I'm looking for a good overall setting. Right now it's on AV. Also, is it a good idea to enable the highlight correction feature? Thanks again!
That sounds like a sensible path.
I've heard the DA 50-200 is a good buy but I don't own it myself.
I started with the DA 18-55 which in its own right is a pretty good for a kit lens and can be quite underestimated. It still remains on my camera more often than not. Along the way, I've added a few lenses (all manual focus) to meet particular needs.
Anyways good luck in your future choices.
04-30-2010, 04:42 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For a little extra reach, look at the DA 55-300. It is a very nice lens, still pretty light and sharp throughout its range. As others have said, once you have the kit lens and a telephoto, shoot for awhile and see what you feel like you need/are missing/just want to have. That will inform any other lens purchases. A prime is nice to have, as is a macro, but you need to get a good focal length for you, or you won't use it much.

I would not up grade your DA-L lens to the DA version. If you ever want to upgrade, consider either the Sigma or Pentax 17-70 or, the Pentax 16-45.