Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Focus Ring?

Can someone explain why they did away with the Tak focusing rings?

04-24-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Autofocus.
04-24-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did away with? Do you mean changed the Style? Construction materials, more lightweight for Autofocus (when they actually started making AF lense), those nice feeling rubberized grip type rings that originally replaced the Tak focus rings on the K lenses... Probably several others but those would be a start.

04-25-2010, 02:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

From experience. kit lens still has focus ring, DA55-300 still has it and FA31 has it. Not sure what you're talking about?

Ain't you confused with aperture ring?

04-25-2010, 08:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Did away with? Do you mean changed the Style? Construction materials, more lightweight for Autofocus (when they actually started making AF lense), those nice feeling rubberized grip type rings that originally replaced the Tak focus rings on the K lenses... Probably several others but those would be a start.

Uhh, yeah I meant the style where it had like... the curved stuff on the focusing ring. ;((( like on the M and A lenses they had a different focusing...
04-26-2010, 10:59 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I'm not a manufacturing process expert, but the old metal rings have many machining steps. Replacing those steps with essentially a rubber band is a lot quicker. They can start with less metal because they aren't machining a lot of it away.

You might think the resulting lenses are lighter, but that's not always true. The Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 135mm f2.5 is optically identical to the SMC Pentax 135mm f2.5, but somehow the Pentax version gained weight. I think it's 15 grams heavier but I'm too lazy to look it up.
04-26-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I suspect it is two fold.

I am sure someone in marketing told engineering that they wanted rubber grips, for look feel etc...

and I am also sure that from an inventory point of view, the extrusions for each diameter lens were a pain in the butt and it was simpler to machine the parts to what ever diameter they wanted, but it would need rubber grips not the extruded collars they had in the past.