Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2010, 10:02 AM   #1

Do you mostly shoot "RAW"?

That's new for me. I knew cameras did it but I've always just had a point and shoot and downloaded jpgs from the camera. Now that I am getting into "real" photography I am wondering if I should just shoot RAW on everything and then adjust in software. I was wondering what most of you experience folks do. What about people that shoot for a living? Do wedding or newpapers people shoot raw and change it later? Or maybe you shoot regular jpg unless it is something special?

Thanks.

04-25-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a recurring question here. My simple answer is yes - I shoot almost exclusively in RAW these days and you should too. However, I have to say taht it took me about a year to get warmed up to it. I also needed some instruction in how to best process RAW images. My advice is to get familar with you camera's basics by shooting in jpeg. Then shoot in RAW and see how you like it - the post processing part of RAW images I mean. Depending on what software you have available RAW can be a PIA or no problem at all.

So, personally, I think you should be shooting in RAW and then be asking yourself when should I shoot in jpeg.
04-25-2010, 11:03 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
This is a recurring question here. My simple answer is yes - I shoot almost exclusively in RAW these days and you should too. However, I have to say taht it took me about a year to get warmed up to it. I also needed some instruction in how to best process RAW images. My advice is to get familar with you camera's basics by shooting in jpeg. Then shoot in RAW and see how you like it - the post processing part of RAW images I mean. Depending on what software you have available RAW can be a PIA or no problem at all.

So, personally, I think you should be shooting in RAW and then be asking yourself when should I shoot in jpeg.
what program do you use?
04-25-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
Ari
Veteran Member

You should shoot in RAW - you will have more flexibility editing your pictures, no matter what you use to post process. Whether iPhoto, Elements, Picassa, Lightroom or Aperture, you can do very quick WB changes, adjust brightness, exposure and contrast, sharpness and noise. It is also non-destrucitive, so you can make multiple changes to one file without having to fiddle around too much. And, since Pentax cameras can shoot in native DNG (which a lot of cameras don't do - they are stuck only with their own respective proprietary RAW format) it is not too bad bringing those files into Adobe stuff.
You will have much larger files, but memory is cheap these days

04-25-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Exclusively!

I started shooting RAW about 8 years ago and haven';t looked back since.
04-25-2010, 12:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I used to shoot JPEG a very long time ago, but then I tried RAW and fell in love with it. For a while, I would only shoot RAW + JPEG but then when I got a camera that didn't have a RAW + JPEG option I just went with RAW and haven't done otherwise since then.
04-25-2010, 12:07 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Almost never. People take sides to this like a religion almost. So you have to make a decision based on what you want to do with your time and your images. The basic philosophy is that you "either get it right in the camera" or "adjust things to your heart's content on a computer". You will find pros on both sides.

This might help you decide:
RAW Myths | NeoCamera.com

- Itai
Neovoyage | Explore, Experience, Expand your horizons | Travel Photography Tours
04-25-2010, 12:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I shoot RAW 98% of the time. RAWs are 12 bit (at least with Pentax currently), which give me a much wider range of possible colour and brightness shades. This increases then the expsoure latitude or dynamic range. In effect RAW imges can cover a wider brightness range, though this might not be obvious at once. RAWs make only sense, if you post-process them to actually make good use of the superior bit-depth.
If you want to take images, which then print straight onto a local camera store's printer or on your own homeprinter with card reader, then forget RAW.

Ben

04-25-2010, 01:10 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I'm moving this thread to the Beginner's forum, as it's an extremely common question among newcomers. do browse that forum as well as the PP forum for the many, many existing threads on shooting RAW and doing PP.
04-25-2010, 01:36 PM   #10
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

It's usually a balance between maximising detail (RAW) and minimising time spent on post-processing (JPEG). For me I'm an exclusive RAW shooter, but I can spend as little as 10 seconds or as much as an hour post-processing an image.
04-25-2010, 01:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Itai Quote
Almost never. People take sides to this like a religion almost. So you have to make a decision based on what you want to do with your time and your images. The basic philosophy is that you "either get it right in the camera" or "adjust things to your heart's content on a computer". You will find pros on both sides.
I don't quite agree with this. I don't spend any more time on RAW than I would on a jpeg. I shoot DNG, bring it straight up in Adobe Camera Raw and go from there. With a jpeg I'd still be tweaking the same things - noise, sharpness, exposure. Jpeg can be quicker but not for the minimal edits I do. Despite not doing large amounts of post-processing, I still find RAW files much better for the basic fact that top editing software is much superior to in-camera software.

Shooting jpeg doesn't equate to 'getting it right in the camera'. If you don't get it right in the camera there's not much you can do to either file format to get a good shot. Jpeg equates more to using inferior in-camera settings (and major file differences), while RAW gives you more control over post-processing.

There's still a case for jpeg, but for my own stuff I use RAW exclusively. I've used jpeg doing pro work just because of file size and buffer lag times.
04-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #12

To the question: "Do you mostly shoot "RAW"?"
The answer is simple: yes.
04-25-2010, 02:53 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Yes, I only shoot RAW. Why buy a camera for great IQ if you aren't going to get the most out of it.
04-25-2010, 03:48 PM   #14
hcc
Pentaxian

I use JPEG most of the time. Possibly because I save JPEG files at the end and I minimise the PP afterwards.

Also I use continuous shooting quite often and JPEG is the optimum setup for long Hi continuous shooting sequence.
04-25-2010, 04:03 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
That's new for me. I knew cameras did it but I've always just had a point and shoot and downloaded jpgs from the camera. Now that I am getting into "real" photography I am wondering if I should just shoot RAW on everything and then adjust in software. I was wondering what most of you experience folks do. What about people that shoot for a living? Do wedding or newpapers people shoot raw and change it later? Or maybe you shoot regular jpg unless it is something special?

Thanks.
RAW+

Digital space is cheap and there are changes that can be cleanly made to RAW files that are not so easy with a JPG. If I don't like the result, I can go back to the RAW file and start completely fresh.

I shoot RAW+ instead of just RAW because my XP machine does not display Pentax PEF files. Once that machine dies, I'll be shooting RAW only.