Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2010, 08:19 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
Thanks for this. I look at it when i am taking a picture to learn and felt like I must be doing something wrong because i wasn't actually changing them. Sometimes I would change them to see what happened but at least now I don't have to feel dumb for not changing every single shot... until i know what I am trying to accomplish.

I'm such a newbie and amateur that I just figured out IQ meant image quality (I had to search for it). I had been reading post after post and couldn't figure out why someone's camera had an intelligence quotient.
Adam has very kindly added a neat effect to these forums that you perhaps have not been aware of. If you hover your mouse over words such as IQ the definition will neatly appear. I use it myself. Watch for any acronym that is underlined with dots.

05-07-2010, 08:58 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
Thanks for this. I look at it when i am taking a picture to learn and felt like I must be doing something wrong because i wasn't actually changing them. Sometimes I would change them to see what happened but at least now I don't have to feel dumb for not changing every single shot... until i know what I am trying to accomplish.
Bingo.

Forgive me if I go off again on one of my very few pet peeves, but this is why I think it's almost immoral for camera companies to put scene modes on cameras; or to put it differently, it's why I routinely tell people that the K20D or K-7, which lack the scene modes, are actually better cameras for beginners. [NOTE: I'm aware not everybody agrees with me. As I said, this is a personal pet peeve and it's possible that I'm out of my mind.]

I don't have stats and could be wrong, but I suspect most ordinary point-and-shoot consumers put their camera into its green or auto mode and leave it there. They don't use scene modes.

Once you get interested enough in photography to bother using scene modes, you might as well learn to use Av or Tv, and change the settings yourself. Sports? Use Tv and keep the shutter fast. Portrait? Use Av and open the aperture up wide, to narrow depth of field—but be careful with your focus! Macro? Get close, but not closer than your camera can focus, and try to keep the aperture small (like f/11 or f/16) if you can, otherwise you will end up with no depth of field at all. Landscape? Well, I'm not sure what one does for landscape! Put the camera on a tripod. :-)

I learned photography the first time (that is, when I was a kid—the second time was more recently) on cameras where absolutely everything was manual. There were almost no controls. ISO was a given. I could turn the aperture ring on the lens to change the aperture, and I could adjust the shutter on the camera, and that was it. Focusing was manual too. It was a good way to learn. I think beginners should be given FEWER options, not more options. I really think Pentax should release a cheap camera that is sort of a stripped down K-7:
  • Two e-dials
  • Only 2 modes, P (hyperprogram) and M (hypermanual)
  • No weathersealing
  • No auto-iso
  • No bracketing

Sell it as a camera for serious beginners. Heck, I'd buy one.

QuoteQuote:
I'm such a newbie and amateur that I just figured out IQ meant image quality (I had to search for it). I had been reading post after post and couldn't figure out why someone's camera had an intelligence quotient.
Yeah, there are lots of acronyms, too many. Don't be afraid to ask. I'm not!

Will
05-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
I really think Pentax should release a cheap camera that is sort of a stripped down K-7:
  • Two e-dials
  • Only 2 modes, P (hyperprogram) and M (hypermanual)
  • No weathersealing
  • No auto-iso
  • No bracketing

Will
Hmmm. K10D
  1. Two e-dials - Yes, use them both
  2. P and M - Them's the two I use. One for DA lenses, the other for M lenses. But I cheat with the DA sometimes and use M, particularly when I don't want the subject to affect the exposure. I've been known to use "sunny 16" meter. Often.
  3. Weather sealing - I use this. A lot. Last summer, under and behind a Moul Falls in Wells Grey Provincial Park. I know, I'm weird*. I did get some neat shots of lichen, and a view that was unavailable except from past the waterfall.
  4. Auto ISO - what's that?
  5. Bracketing - I use it sometimes, mostly when I have a tricky subject to expose and am unsure of my in-head meter and in-camera meter, or when I have a subject I know will exceed the dynamic range of my sensor, and want to be able to use a highlight/shadow combination to reduce the dynamic range.
For just schlepping around with the DA* 16-50 or DA 12-24 hand held, I'll set the camera to P, Multi pattern metering. It's pretty good for grab shots. If I'm using a tripod, my head says that tripods require manual exposure and manual focus.

*My wife would agree with this.
05-07-2010, 02:28 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
... Anyway, one of his posts is titled 15 Truths About Photography. Truth #11:

Most of your pictures suck. So do everybody else's.

... I thought that it was only my images and my skills!?