Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2010, 07:08 AM   #1

HELP HAIR/DUST on my sensor

Hi i just found out that i have dust and two pieces of small hair on my sensor. one piece is visible at f8 and the other larger one is visible at f5.6. what can i do? i tried using the sensor shake to clean function built into the camera however it didn't help or solve the problem. can i get one of those blowers to get rid of the hair or do i sent it into Pentax and how much will that cost?

04-26-2010, 07:13 AM   #2
Inactive Account

You can try a rocket blower. If that doesn't work. Get a cleaning kit and learn to use it. You'll be seeing dust often.
04-26-2010, 07:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm moving this thread to the Beginner's forum, as it is a very common question among newcomers. Do search the forum to see the very many many previous threads on the subejct and the excellent suggestions that have been given in them.
04-26-2010, 07:40 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I'm moving this thread to the Beginner's forum, as it is a very common question among newcomers. Do search the forum to see the very many many previous threads on the subejct and the excellent suggestions that have been given in them.
thank you for the suggestion.

04-26-2010, 07:54 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
invest a small amount of $$ in a giotto's rocket blower..... really inexpensive.... the follow the instructions in the manual in cleaning the sensor...
pages 287 and 288... i was apprehensive at first, but with a few quick, strong bursts from the rocket blower.... cleaned even the most stubborn dust off the sensor...
remember to try and change lenses in a draft free, closed room if possible.... also... if in the car, make sure the windows are closed and no air is circulating....
hope this helps.... dave m
04-26-2010, 09:17 AM   #6

OK...the fact that there are even !!287 or 288 pages!! in a Rocket Blower instruction kit ought to be daunting in and of itself!!! Good NIGHT!!!
04-26-2010, 07:15 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clmonk Quote
OK...the fact that there are even !!287 or 288 pages!! in a Rocket Blower instruction kit ought to be daunting in and of itself!!! Good NIGHT!!!
i think he mean the k-x manual not the rocket blower

04-26-2010, 07:15 PM   #8

Original Poster
Will the large rocket blower do the job?
Giottos Rocket Air Blower - Large
do i need to raise the mirror and blow air into it?
04-26-2010, 07:25 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wilson_Kx Quote
Will the large rocket blower do the job?
Giottos Rocket Air Blower - Large
do i need to raise the mirror and blow air into it?
Yes, and Yes. There is a Clean mode that raises the mirror and opens the shutter. Make sure your batteries are charged, you don't want the mirror flopping down when you have the blower nozzle in there. The Clean mode is usually found in the Settings Menu (Sensor Cleaning).

Good luck..

04-26-2010, 07:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would try my Giottos blower 1st. If that didn't work, I would use a fresh piece of FABER CASTEL TACK-IT to stick them out. Other similar products may not work however as they might leave behind some residual, like Blue-Tack.
04-27-2010, 01:22 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Yes, and Yes. There is a Clean mode that raises the mirror and opens the shutter. Make sure your batteries are charged, you don't want the mirror flopping down when you have the blower nozzle in there. The Clean mode is usually found in the Settings Menu (Sensor Cleaning).

Good luck..

oh and should i have the camera sitting on the table or pointed downwards so any dust can be blown and fal out rather than just moved to another location?

thanks everyone for their reply. you guys have been much help.
04-27-2010, 05:34 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wilson_Kx Quote
oh and should i have the camera sitting on the table or pointed downwards so any dust can be blown and fal out rather than just moved to another location?

thanks everyone for their reply. you guys have been much help.
That's the generally preferred method. Based on the notion of letting gravity do it's job and getting the dust completely out of there..

This is a pretty good guide that I used when I first got brave enough to do a wet clean...including how to make some of your own tools for the job.

Introduction - Cleaning Digital Cameras - D-SLR Sensor Cleaning.

04-29-2010, 04:46 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
That's the generally preferred method. Based on the notion of letting gravity do it's job and getting the dust completely out of there..

This is a pretty good guide that I used when I first got brave enough to do a wet clean...including how to make some of your own tools for the job.

Introduction - Cleaning Digital Cameras - D-SLR Sensor Cleaning.

i just got my rocket blower and used the air to push the hair and dust off my sensor (i only can see 2 speck of dust at f22 which im not too fussy about). thanks everyone for helping out. oh and one more thing, is it normal for the camera to beep while the mirror is up and for the red LED/infrared light built into the hand grip to light up? thanks everyone.