Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K200D High ISO NR - Any drawbacks?

In relation to the in camera noise reduction, are there any drawbacks having it set to the strongest setting?

4 being strongest & 1 being off.

Thanks

04-27-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Same as with all any camera or any post processing program - the more NR you do, the more it smears detail. You'll have to shoot a bunch of images yourself to see what settings pleases you, but when I shot JPEG very briefly with this camera, I found any setting but Weakest to smear away too much detail, but I didn't particular like the look of the results from weakest, either. I'm much happier shooting RAW and deciding for myself after the fact how much NR to apply, and with far greater amount of control (not just three different levels to select between). And when shooting RAW, the camera NR has no effect. I have a basic preset in ACDSee Pro that does a decent job of NR as a satarting point, and for many ISO 1600, that's all I use (and I rarely use any NR at all below there). But for images I have deliberately underexposed in order to get faster shutter speeds and am "push" processing to give me the effect of higher ISO, I will increase the NR in ACDSee beyond what my preset does.

One other thing 0 when shooting JPEG, and NR setting except Off slows down the camera in terms of how fast it can process the image. Maybe not by enough to matter; again, you'd have to play with the settings for yourself
04-27-2010, 05:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Marc. Very informative.

I've had it on (2) weakest for a long time. I might try turning it off and look into some NR software.