Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2010, 12:35 PM   #1

Photo downloading question

I just bought a Pentax Kx and went to download photos. (operating system Windows XP) I'm not sure what is wrong, but when I connected the USB cable to the camera and turned it on, nothing happened.

I then took the memory card out of the camera and inserted it into my printer and was finally able to download them.

Any thoughts as to what could be the issue ?

Thank you in adavance

04-27-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Have you checked the USB ports? Cable? Installed proper drivers, I'm not sure it's needed though but I've always transferred my photos by taking out the card.
Worst case scenario, it's the camera, but there are many steps to check before that.
I suggest trying different USB ports.
04-28-2010, 07:23 AM   #3
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Your pics will not transfer automatically, if that's what you're expecting. Right click on the My Computer icon and choose "explore". In the left hand (folders) pane, look for "Removable Disc ( * )", the ( * ) will be the last drive letter, eg (E), (F), etc.. Click the + sign to expand that drives folder, your pics will be in the "DCIM" folder, (just keep expanding the folders in that drive till you find them.). You will then need to transfer / copy them to the folder of your choice on your hard drive.

Hope this helps!
04-30-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Personally I find it easier (and safer for the camera) to just take out the SD card and use a USB card reader. Then I import the photos from within my favorite image editing/catalog program.

Safer, I say, because I always find it unnerving having the camera connected to a cord to the computer - I have a little one who runs around the house and sometimes yanks on things. I'd rather the camera be safe in my bag while the card is in a memory card reader.

(I got one for $5 off newegg.com)

05-04-2010, 09:19 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you for all the advice and tips. I am guessing it is the computer as it won't even recognize the card reader. None of the 3 USB ports work.

Not sure what happened and why they don't work for the Pentax but they do work for our Sony point and shoot. Of course when we bought the computer we had the Sony and the computer recognizes the Sony memory card as an F drive but not w/ the Pentax.

Odd indeed, since I'm no computer whiz, I'm guessing I'm SOL.
05-04-2010, 09:31 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sure you've already checked this, but does the card reader support SDHC? (assuming your Pentax uses this type of card) If not, then this isn't surprising. However, you should still be able to just connect the camera itself via USB. You might need to install the drivers from the Pentax CD if this isn't working.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-05-2010, 05:46 AM   #7

Original Poster
Hi Adam,

I bought the card reader new specifically for the SDHC card and my computer doesn't acknowledge it. It also doesn't acknowledge when the camera is plugged in via USB port even after I installed the Pentax software.

Not sure any more. I guess it's our computer but who really knows ?
05-05-2010, 05:52 AM   #8

Steve, can you insert a thumb drive (USB drive)? Does the computer recognize a USB drive with files on it?

05-05-2010, 06:00 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve72 Quote
Hi Adam,

I bought the card reader new specifically for the SDHC card and my computer doesn't acknowledge it. It also doesn't acknowledge when the camera is plugged in via USB port even after I installed the Pentax software.

Not sure any more. I guess it's our computer but who really knows ?
I would be willing to bet that the USBs on your computer are USB 1.1 devices. You need USB 2.0 to read an SDHC. If it's a desktop with an empty slot you may be able to upgrade to a newer device. Don't know if it's been mentioned but can you read the card by plugging your camera into the USB port?

My HP desktop has one of those 8 in 1 readers built into it. Even though the actual USB ports are v2.0, the Card reader is v1.1 (which I found absolutely retarded when I discovered that) and will not read anything larger than a 2Gb card. Doesn't even recognize it is there.