Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2010, 05:12 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
EV compensation bias

I was wondering if anyone notices if there is any exposure bias with the KX?

I know that some camera brands consistently over/under expose. What should I use to test this (grey card?)

I hope this question makes sense.

Thanks

04-27-2010, 08:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The dpreview.com review says it overexposes: review.

I think a gray card test wouldn't tell you much, unless you have a camera whose meter you are used to and comfortable with. Otherwise it's just a number in the middle. I actually think my camera will expose a gray card dead in the center of the histogram, though it underexposes a lot in the real world.

A more useful test is to use the camera and see what it does in different situations. In deference to dpreview.com, turn on the blinking highlights so you know when your highlights are overexposed. That's important because the blinking parts will have little or no detail. If they are important parts of the image, make adjustments to keep them from overexposure.

I suggest taking some photos with the sky in them. My camera loves the sky and hates to overexpose it. I have learned to compensate for that if my subject is not the sky. Other situations work the same way - pay attention to scenes where your camera might get it wrong, and what fixes it.
04-28-2010, 11:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by trevorgrout Quote
I know that some camera brands consistently over/under expose.
That's not really true. What is true is that some reviewers consistently happen to subjectively like brighter or darker exposures, and ding camera for not meeting their own subjective preferences. it's also true that different cameras might make different decision in scenes that contain both bright and dark objects - some might expose the dark objects well and let the bright ones be overexposed, whereas other might expose the bright objects well but let the dark ones be underexposed. They won't tend to be as consistent about it, though - it will depend on the relative size and position of the bright and dark objects.

But measured objectively with a grey card, pretty much all cameras perform according to ISO standards for exposure. You can check the dxomark scores for yourself, you'll see virtually all of them track the ISO standard almost perfectly.