Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2010, 01:43 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
That eliminates all problems associated with smaller apertures.
Diffraction and Optimum Aperture - Format size and diffraction limitations on sharpness

Thank you
Russell

04-30-2010, 01:55 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thats why most serious macro photographers if not all shoot with a flash. They can't be bogged down or constricted by a tripod so they buy a flash and master the exposure with one.

"Indoor macro" contradicts itself. Unless your shooting with a studio setup, taking a macro indoors is usually unheard of(again Im talking macro i.e. 1:1 and not still life).

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
We're doing two things here : discussing words and their meanings, and highjacking a thread :P

Macro officially refers to anything near 1:1 enlargment. Not only bugs. If I grow a flower indoors, and want to photograph it, it can still be macro work.

I'd be careful with sentences like " eral macro photographers use a flash" and "real macro photographers don't use a tripod. I'd say real macro photographers get the job done, with whatever gear they want to use. We work differently and that's fine. I suggest using a tripod is a good thing (and I did mention a focusing rail... many of which move in two directions) and for me that's true. I don't make it a personal thing.

for the record, there is an immense difference between lab tests and experimenting with DOF. for me at least.
You stated a tripod would help with bugs so i responding in regards to insect photographs.... see underlined.

Also if your going to quote me, don't selectively quote me. I stated *most* serious macro photographers use a flash. And where did I say real macro photographers dont use a tripod? I stated why most use a flash.... because a tripod bogs them down and constricts them.

I've talked to as many macro photographers as possible and I always get the same response.... I simply forwarded it to this thread.

Also keep in mind my first entry in this thread simply said: "Still part of the group that says tripods belong at home when shooting macro's...... "
I was giving my perspective on tripods and your response was to my perspective and opinion.

(oh and for the record, I guess I've never been in a situation where I need to take the exact same shot at different apertures with macro before....)

Edit: What a wonderful 1000 post
04-30-2010, 01:56 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i know what diffraction is....
I was refering to what he said, which was in regards to slower shutter speeds.
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
when closing down the aperture, the shutter speed slows down to a point where using a tripod helps keep pictures sharp.
04-30-2010, 07:01 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You win. Whatever. Move along. What was the point again?

Oh, yeah. Advice about macro photography tools. And today we learned that a tripod is the worst tool ever for small, shallow DOF photography. We also learned that different opinions, different ways to work, are not allowed.

Gee.

Last time I saw this was on a Canon forum...

04-30-2010, 09:31 PM   #35

"Indoor macro" contradicts itself. Unless your shooting with a studio setup, taking a macro indoors is usually unheard of(again Im talking macro i.e. 1:1 and not still life).
I have seen many macro pictures in National Geographic which will looks spectacular and generally, they are taken in a studio setup, albeit a portable studio.

There are many ways to shoot macro pictures but ultimately, what matters is the quality of the image captured. Just my two cents.
05-17-2010, 06:28 PM   #36

Photos: Gallery
Manual Focus Alternative

I use bellows and enlarging lenses. I have also used a manual focus Vivitar 1:1 90mm macro. Both are inexpensive and work quite well.

Here is a link for more details in case you are still looking for alternatives.

05-19-2010, 06:48 PM   #37

Original Poster
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/101972-macro-drops-roses.html#post1049054

And thanks Stover, I'm having a look at the link as I type this