Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2010, 01:41 PM   #1

K10D or K-x

Hi all, bit of a newb lurker, first few posts so thanks in advance. I'm a Pentax MZM owner, which I've enjoyed for years but not really used so much in the last few months - I've been thinking digital for a bit so.....Birthday having come and gone and vouchers for camera shop presented, I've been thinking about a K-x.

The shop I'm going to look at it in also has a second hand K10D with kit lens for exactly the same money. K10d has attractive weather sealing but the k-x is lighter, neater, higher megapixels and iso, and is much much newer. Now that I've written it it seems a silly question, but is the weather sealing worth the newness compromise?

04-28-2010, 01:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K10D is semi-pro level.
K-x is entry-level.

If you are professional, get K10D.
If not, get K-x.
04-28-2010, 01:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Prenderb,

The question if weather sealing is so important not to buy a K-x, totally depends on where and how you are going to use that camera.
Without knowing your situation, I'd go for the K-x, it is your first digital camera.

The K10D is a fine camera, but you'd need to be a hobbyist I guess to take advantage of the extra's.

The K-x has a much better sensor, it is like permanently buying better film, not that the K10D sensor is bad, the K-x can work at low light with the same quality results.
Also, if you'd ever use it, there is video recording on the K-x.
Also the K-x has an faster auto focus.

If you are planning to work in dusty and wet environments, you'll need environment sealing. Most people can live without, though I appreciate it very much...
Remember that you will need weather sealed lenses as well to benefit from that feature.

Also, may you decide for the K-x, do not forget to update the firmware.
The initial firmware does not handle rechargeable batteries quite well.

Success with your choice.

- Bert
04-28-2010, 02:07 PM   #4

not an easy decision as there are enough reasons to have them both.

i own the K10D for 3 years. few weeks ago was thinking about upgrading to K20D or adding K-x to my camera bag.
at a store i had the chance to hold the k-x in hand. in comparison to the K10D it feels very plastic and not so solid like the K10D. i like the feel of the K10D (and of course almost every function, it is a great tool)

in addition to that i agree with Danny.

04-28-2010, 02:20 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

If you shoot outdoor, go for the WR and the K10D.

I think that the debate between K-x and K-10D is biased by the lens selection. Instead of a kit lens, get some good glasses (ie fast prime lenses). They are worth to invest rather than newest camera, and they will last. Can you get some 2nd hand lens(es) at the same shop instead of the kit lens?

Food for thoughts...
04-28-2010, 02:35 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I don't know where you are located, but here in the US a used K10 usually goes somewhere from $300 to $400 depending on condition, etc. A new k-x body is in the neighborhood of $550. If you are going equal price for the two, make sure that you get some extras with the K10.
04-28-2010, 03:46 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The others have posted some great points. From my experience, the K10 has fantastic IQ, and on top of the weather sealing and more pro-like controls, I would immediately take it over the K-x. Being stuck with one scrollwheel instead of two, for me, is a killer. Since you say you were a MZ-M user, if you liked being able to focus manually, I'm sure you also like manual aperture and manual shutter speed control. This is much easier with two scrollwheels.

If you're interested in newness, consider taking a K20D over a K10D, although there is some debate over the IQ-for-megapixel tradeoff. I'm sure a K20D can still be acquired for slightly less than the K-x.

Looking forward to hearing your decision!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-28-2010, 04:11 PM   #8

I shot the K10D professionally for several years for a newspaper and moved to the Kx. The K10D technology is nearly 4 years old. In this shooters opinion, the Kx is the better camera in all regards. The K10D simply cannot compare to the Kx. Get the Kx.

04-28-2010, 04:30 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tarsus Quote
In this shooters opinion, the Kx is the better camera in all regards. The K10D simply cannot compare to the Kx. Get the Kx.
This is over-simplified. As Adam pointed out, the dual control wheels are just one thing many people would miss on a K-x compared to a K10D body. Not to mention sealing and focus point overlay. For overall ergonomics and camera control, I would find the K10D much superior.

Have a look here.

There are other points to take into account: K-x AA bats versus K10D lithium-ions. K-x has flash sync port, K10D doesn't. K10D has superior viewfinder. K-x smaller and lighter. K-x slightly higher top shutter speed and megapixels. K-x has video if that matters.

QuoteOriginally posted by Danny Delcambre:
K10D is semi-pro level.
K-x is entry-level.

If you are professional, get K10D.
If not, get K-x.
This is over-simplified as well. The K-x has a superior sensor, much superior high-ISO capabilities, and higher frame rate.

I think it comes down to what you require or your own shooting. The K10D is now old technology, but still very capable, and in a superior body to the K-x. The K-x is great sensor technology, in a cheap entry-level body. Old flagship versus new entry level DSLR.

K20D would cut the high-ISO difference to the K-x somewhat. But I would recommend trying to get better than the (good for a kit lens) kit lens, although I've read that the second and WR versions are better in IQ than the 1st version, which I got with my K10D and never liked.
04-28-2010, 04:56 PM   #10

/non zen-like response warning/
If you're a beginning shooter, the k-x is a no brainer. You'll get more dynamic range and ultimately more usable images from the camera. At this stage, you need all the encouragement you can get as you build up your photography chops, and this is the path to least resistance.

Also consider all the whiz bang new features including video and (from what I've read) better autofocus over the k-10.

Don't get me wrong, I have a soft spot for the K-10, due to my affinity for my K-20D, but almost every K-7 / K-20D owner specifically wants the K-x as a backup camera. That should be telling.

$0.02 cents
04-28-2010, 06:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by writeb Quote
If you're a beginning shooter, the k-x is a no brainer. You'll get more dynamic range and ultimately more usable images from the camera.
Why more usable images? Or do you mean high ISO?
04-29-2010, 02:49 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies folks!

Just so you know, I picked up a k-x this evening with an 8Gb card, and hope to christen it over the coming weekend! I was definitely intrigued by the weather sealing but the k10 is 4 years old, and i really liked the way the k-x fits in the hands - it's nice and neat, but still fairly weighty so the extra 200g on the k10 would have felt heavy to me. No colours available (last body in shop!) so I had to settle for black (rather than stormtrooper or red :P)

The higher iso range is also an advantage... !

Have to search the forum now for battery advice to see whether the ol' rechargeables are the way to go.
04-29-2010, 10:11 PM   #13
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/92821-battery-k-x-...-take-aas.html