Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2010, 08:23 PM   #1

Close to buying K-X

but I have a few questions.

1) I live in Charlotte, a major metro area, but no one sells Pentax around here. Is that common? I would really like to put my hands on one before I buy one.

2) The other contender for me is the Nikon D5000. One of the things I do not like about the D5000 is how long the autofocus takes in Liveview. Is that an issue for the K-X?

3) How much of a loss is the lack of autofocus points in the viewfinder?

Thanks

04-28-2010, 08:57 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nuke64 Quote

1) I live in Charlotte, a major metro area, but no one sells Pentax around here. Is that common? I would really like to put my hands on one before I buy one.

2) The other contender for me is the Nikon D5000. One of the things I do not like about the D5000 is how long the autofocus takes in Liveview. Is that an issue for the K-X?

Thanks
1) Pentax doesn't have a big presence in most camera stores in the US. In fact a lot of dealers will tell you that Pentax is going out of business. This is not true. Pentax is doing very well and is on the up swing. As far as buying your camera, buying it online at a reputable dealer like Amazon, Adorama or B&H will save you money over buying it from a brick and morter store.

2) Live view is slow to focus no matter the brand. I don't know how the two stack together though. If you want fast focus, regardless of make/model...shoot through the viewfinder.

3) If you are stepping up from a point-and-shoot I don't think that you will notice a difference between seeing the AF points or not. The camera still focuses fine. The AF points just tell you where the camera is focusing. I always shoot using the center AF point (It's always the most accurate) using the Focus-Recompose technique . I believe the KX will still beep to confirm focus.

Also, the KX has the best low-light performance in it's class.
04-28-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

1. yes, in Romania we have only 2 stores where one can actually touch a Pentax camera (Romania has 250,000 sqkm and 20 mil people)
2. did not compare directly but yes, my K-x took a long time to AF in LV - this is common to all DSLR because they are not designed for LV . Try Samsung NX10 or Olympus E PEN or Panasonic mirorless cameras
3. not much, you can center focus and recompose. Anyway, it is faster that way than choosing focus points.
04-28-2010, 09:21 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the answers thus far. I have no issues with buying online, I just was hoping to hold one first. Wal-mart sells the K-X for ~$535 with lens. Althought not the best deal out there, with their liberal return policy, it may be worth it.

With regards to 2), I also was looking at the Sony A-330 and A-380. They both use the same autofocus method with the view finder or live view and are very fast. Other issues with those led me away from them. The D5000 takes about 3 seconds to focus in live view.

04-28-2010, 09:46 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I bought mine from B&H with both lens for $715. The Ultimate Electronics store in my area had them in stock for $549 with the 28-55mm lens. I don't miss the focus points as I came from a P&S and 90% of the time I have mine set to center point anyway. Also the K-x has the anti-shake in the body, Sony and others have it in the lens so it makes their lens more expensive.

I always shot thru the viewfinder even on my old P&S so the slow focus in the screen isn't an issue, I just can't compose well shooting that way. I have a little pocket P&S that I carry and most of the time I don't even look at the LCD screen I just point and shoot and hope for the best. ;-)

You'll like the K-x it's a great camera, been very happy with mine
04-29-2010, 06:15 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Go with the K-x

I have owned Nikon (D40), Canon (XT and G11) and still own Pentax K10D. I have held and tried out the Canon XSi and the Nikon D3000 and D5000 and they feel light weight but cheap in my hands. Recently I bought a Pentax K-x in white from B&H and I believe it is the BEST Pentax I have owned. Great photos and lots of useful and fun features. This is a SOLID camera...it really feels great in my hands. Check K-x in use in DSLR Forum here to see a recent picture I took at a model shoot at the Pop Photography Digital Days workshop. Go with the K-x you will not be disappointed.
04-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Coming from a point-and-shoot I can see you're concern about focus speed using live view but I can guarantee one thing: Live view will more than likely become one of the least used features on the camera after owning it for some time.

04-29-2010, 02:55 PM   #8

I purchased my K-x back in February without having held it in person, because I was able to snap one up from B&H for like $470 total.

Haven't regretted it at all. It's my first dSLR, and I like it quite a bit. My advice would be to shop around online and find the best deal you can from a reputable seller (Amazon, B&H, etc.), that way if for whatever reason you don't like it, it can still be returned.
04-29-2010, 03:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

After having had 2 Ricoh 35mm film cameras, a Sea & Sea 35mm Underwater film camera, a Nikon Coolpix 990 with an Ikelite underwater housing, a Nikon Coolpix (something) point and shoot I have been promising myself a dSLR for the 4 years my wife and I have been waiting to adopt a daughter... It was a long wait but we travel soon... About a month ago I bought the Kx with the 18-55 & 55-300 kits.

Edited to add a Minolta 355mm film camera...

Stunned by the thing...
05-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I love my k-x! I got it from CameraKings.com. They get a bad rap but I got a super cheap deal on a kit - $459.

They did try to upsell me extras, but I just told them no and all was fine. I also got a free carrying case and lens cleaning kit.
05-06-2010, 05:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Thanks
1) It is common. You should definitely hold one before you buy one, makes the decision much easier IMO.

2) All SLRs focus slow in liveview. The K-x has the option to use phase-detect autofocus in liveview, which means the screen will go black, but it will focus very fast.

3) Nil. It's a cool thing to look at, but serves few practical purposes when you think about it in the areas that you think it would help: sports, birding, etc, unless you happen to forget what focus point you chose moments earlier.
05-09-2010, 08:45 PM   #12

live view = hardly used

QuoteOriginally posted by noahpurdy Quote
Coming from a point-and-shoot I can see you're concern about focus speed using live view but I can guarantee one thing: Live view will more than likely become one of the least used features on the camera after owning it for some time.
Ditto. This has been my experience exactly. Love my K-x, by the way.
05-09-2010, 09:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Hey OP, how did it go?

Did you join the K-x club of awesome?
05-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get it from Adorama or B&H and I'll be able to count that as a donation, if you're interested. Just click an icon in my signature, and then simply complete the purchase.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-10-2010, 06:57 AM   #15

Thanks
1) I have no idea.

2) Afaik live-focus is slow on all DSLR except Sonys which use a different system and the Panasonic micro-four thirds ones. Live-view is a feature slapped on to make the point&shoot crew happy/have easier access to the camera. I assume this will be an issue for the k-x but why not use the viewfinder?

3) I don't know how it look but I assume you can just change the auto-focus to center point and then always put the object you want to focus in the center of the frame, lock focus, re-adjust the view if you want to and then snap the photo. I assume a lot of people put it in center AF-point mode anyway and well, where the center is is quite easy to figure out .