Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax AF-16 flash unit

My father used to shoot Pentax... so he gave me some very nice lenses and a flash unit. I was not caring about light since now. So the flash unit in question is a Pentax AF-16. Is it usable on my k-x? Can I get benefits from using it? Since I don't know a lot about flashes, it would be very kind if someone could answer my questions.
Thanks!

04-29-2010, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

The AF-16 units I've seen have low trigger voltage (5V IIRC). It is usable with your K-x. But you should measure the voltage on your particular unit just to be sure.

You can use the AF-16 in auto mode: Set the K-x to either X mode or M mode with shutter speed 1/180 sec or slower, set the flash to either blue or red mode, match the ISO setting and the aperture setting on the flash and on the camera body. Shoot away.

Of course you can also use the flash in fully manual mode. The guide number is 16 (meter, at ISO 100).

The flash is small and just a tad more powerful than the built-in flash (guide number 13, I think) so its use is limited. I have an AF160, which is very similar. I use it to trigger optical slaves, something the built in flash can't do in most cases (because of the preflash in p-TTL). The AF-16 is taller than the built-in flash, so it's less likely the shadow of the lens to get in the photo.

04-29-2010, 09:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Sorry for Offtopic: What is the round thing/washer in front of your 50mm lens?
I'm guessing that you can do this because of the smaller FOV on digital camera.
04-29-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
Sorry for Offtopic: What is the round thing/washer in front of your 50mm lens?
It's a lens hood , actually nothing but a 49mm-28mm stepdown ring adapter. I use that kind of lens hood for all my prime lenses.

04-30-2010, 06:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
The AF-16 units I've seen have low trigger voltage (5V IIRC). It is usable with your K-x. But you should measure the voltage on your particular unit just to be sure.

You can use the AF-16 in auto mode: Set the K-x to either X mode or M mode with shutter speed 1/180 sec or slower, set the flash to either blue or red mode, match the ISO setting and the aperture setting on the flash and on the camera body. Shoot away.

Of course you can also use the flash in fully manual mode. The guide number is 16 (meter, at ISO 100).

The flash is small and just a tad more powerful than the built-in flash (guide number 13, I think) so its use is limited. I have an AF160, which is very similar. I use it to trigger optical slaves, something the built in flash can't do in most cases (because of the preflash in p-TTL). The AF-16 is taller than the built-in flash, so it's less likely the shadow of the lens to get in the photo.

OK thanks for those info. It's really appreciated.
05-09-2010, 07:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One more question

How can I measure the voltage on the unit and how much voltage is safe for my k-x? Thanks.