Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Viewfinder max eye distance.

Currently with my k200d i often have problems composing at odd angles because i have to push my eye really hard against the viewfinder to see the full frame. Even worse is looking at the LED indicators.

At normal positions i simply bend my head to odd position that allows the camera to be placed as close as possible.

What is the parameter that determines this feature? In dpreview i've seen something like eye-level, in [mm]. What's that?

It is said that PentaMirror cameras give larger image - does this means that it gets even harder to see the whole frame, or does the larger also refers to area seen from viewfinder.

How do you deal with this? Once i tried a Canon 400d, it had a smaller image but could be seen easily. Maybe there is some reduction lens attachment?

04-29-2010, 11:39 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have had some similar problem when the view finder does not cover 100% of the frame. For example, the K200D viewfinder gives 96% coverage of the field, whileThe K-7 gives close to 100% frame coverage. I found that the extra 4% is quite a difference.

I am not sure if this is the problem, and I acknowledge that the K200D is a nice camera worth to keep. Could a eyecup extender help ? A search in Pentaxforums.com might give your some info.

Hope that the comment might help...
04-29-2010, 11:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No this is not the problem. 96% is good enough.
Viewfinder coverage means how much of the actual frame captured by sensor is covered by focusing screen.

My problem is how much of the focusing screen and indicators under it i can actually see without pushing my eye to the viewfinder uncomfortably.

If i'm about to upgrade, i'd like to know whate makes up this property.
04-30-2010, 06:21 AM   #4
Pentaxian

It's fairly normal to have to move ones eye around a bit to see everything in the viewfinder.
I believe the eyepoint of the viewfinder would be the maximum distance from the finder you can have your eye and still see something, but you might want to google the term to make sure.
Do you have unusually thick glasses, btw?

Also, the 40D is a 1.6 crop, which is a smaller sensor, and I presume a smaller screen as well.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 04-30-2010 at 11:45 AM.
04-30-2010, 09:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Eyepoint is the specification you're looking for.

I use a viewfinder magnifier and I think it would be worse for you. You're right that a reduction attachment goes in the right direction. I don't know if that's available. It would make framing easier and seeing the other information, but focusing harder.

Pentaprisms transmit more light than pentamirrors. A pentamirror viewfinder will usually have a lower magnification to achieve a similar brightness level compared to a pentaprism. So you might be better off with pentamirrors.

Ultimately, some sort of live view system might solve your problems. Live view solutions on DSLRs are still evolving. They might not be "there" yet.