Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dinneenp Quote
I'm thinking of getting a 50mm FA 1.4 or 1.7.
Then I saw that there's Tamron 28-75 2.8 and similar (sigma 17-50 2.8 etc).

What I want the lens for is low light and bokeh/shallow dof.
Does anyone have any sample pics of differnence between 2.8 and 1.7/1.4 in low light and bokeh?
From what I know- nifty fifty- quicker, higher aperture, others have zoom range and still a high aperture.
I'd be interested to see how big the difference is. That's probably the deciding factor for me.
Cheers,
Pa.
As has been pointed out, DOF/Bokeh is a function of distance from subject and aperture. What the Bokeh looks like is lens dependent, number and shape of aperture blades, lens design, etc.

Some examples.. These are taken at minimum focus distance, wide open.

Sears 55mm f1.4

Super Takumar 55mm f1.8

Pentax FA77mm Ltd

Pentax DFA100mm WR @ f2.8

Pentax A50 f1.2 (talk about Shallow DOF!)

None of these are the lenses you asked about, I know that. Just posting some examples to illustrate my point about different looks of Bokeh. These lenses range in price from about $30 to $750.

You aren't too likely to find an FA50 f1.7 easily. They're out there but the F50 f1.7 is more common and is selling at an Ebay price right now of around $240 (US).

05-02-2010, 02:50 PM   #17

It's not that Im nit happy with my kit lens, it's that I have a toddler and a new born. So a nifty fifty would be good for indoor/lowlight shots. I also like bokeh/blurred background/shallow depth if field for some portraits.
Zooming into 100 isn't best option indoors always.
50mm 1.4 AF would be great for low light.
But 28-75 2.8 offers flexilibilty and a high aperture.
Ideally Id like a nifty fifty owner to take sample pics for me:
at each setting from 2.8 up to 1.4 in a. Lowlight b. Sample of bohek
that way u could judge how much better in low light and how much more bokeh/blurred background it offers over 28-75 2.8 or similar lens and then which to choose.
If anyone could do this Id appreciate it very much.
Thanks,
pa
05-02-2010, 07:54 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Pictures won't really show the difference - at least, not the successful pictures. The difference will be in the *unsuccessful* pictures and what caused them to be unsuccessful... At f/1.4 or f/1.7, the problem *in some cases* will be a subject that is mostly out of focus because the DOF is too shallow.
It's not that Im nit happy with my kit lens, it's that I have a toddler and a new born. So a nifty fifty would be good for indoor/lowlight shots. I also like bokeh/blurred background/shallow depth if field for some portraits.
Zooming into 100 isn't best option indoors always.
50mm 1.4 AF would be great for low light.
But 28-75 2.8 offers flexilibilty and a high aperture.
Ideally Id like a nifty fifty owner to take sample pics for me:
at each setting from 2.8 up to 1.4 in a. Lowlight b. Sample of bohek
that way u could judge how much better in low light and how much more bokeh/blurred background it offers over 28-75 2.8 or similar lens and then which to choose.
If anyone could do this Id appreciate it very much.
Thanks,
pa
This is not the extensive set of samples you asked for, but it is a good illustration of Marc's point, How Things Go Wrong At 50mm. I was taking some flower photos with a 50mm macro lens and decided to sneak in a couple of photos of my wife. I'm already breaking rule #1, don't use an exceptionally sharp lens to take wife photos, and rule #2, take time to focus. I set f5.6 to cover focus errors with greater depth of field.

You can probably tell that I focused wrong - her shoulder is probably where the plane of focus is. Her ear is falling out of focus. Her face is not quite as sharp as the lens can get. (That's OK because I'm breaking rule #1.)

That's the trap with the fast 50mm lenses. You try to use f1.4 in low light, get close for good framing, and get eyelashes in focus but not the eye. The closer you are, the more critical depth of field is.
05-02-2010, 10:24 PM   #19

Just to clarify- I'm looking for the same shots over and over again, with the same settings, in the same place, etc. but with the aperture rising in each one (to see the differences from 2.8 to 1.4.)

The other factor that I didn't consider is (as above poster shows a sample of) is getting subject in focus...another thing to consider.

Thanks

05-02-2010, 10:45 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Like I said, seeing sample of successful images is *not* going to answer this. Read my previous response again. The tradoff is which shots fail - too shallow DOF, or just too long a focal length with the 50, or blurry or noisy with f/2.8. Realistically, either lens will work well sometimes but not other times.
05-02-2010, 11:23 PM   #21
Veteran Member

It's not that Im nit happy with my kit lens, it's that I have a toddler and a new born.
Sorry, I replied to you and got confused with the opening post by ckusnierek. That happens when one hijacks a thread. So please, don't do that in future; it's in general considered impolite to the opening poster.

No hard feelings
05-03-2010, 01:48 AM   #22

Photos: Albums
Don't give up on the18-55 lens, take time to look at the "Kit Lens Club" and see how good it can be.
05-03-2010, 05:31 AM   #23

Not sure if this has been brought up yet but certainly with the K-7, if you shoot an 'M' lens on Av mode, the camera will do automatic metering for you because it will always take the photos with the aperture wide open, even if the aperture ring is set to another position.
This approach tends to work for me with the kind of photos I take but obviously the point has been raised that if you start getting too close to your subject, you'll start having issues with depth of field when shooting wide-open.
If you're going to be shooting mostly in low light conditions then this might be an approach worth considering, especially as it is likely to save you a fair bit of money.

05-03-2010, 06:28 AM   #24
Ira
Inactive Account

I'm thinking of getting a 50mm FA 1.4 or 1.7.
Then I saw that there's Tamron 28-75 2.8 and similar (sigma 17-50 2.8 etc).
If you go to the Tammy Club thread and look at shots done with the Tamron 28-75, it's an incredible, incredible lens. If I wanted one lens for walking around, that would be the range and that would be the lens.

Also, because of short minimum focusing distance, you won't believe the macro type shots it does.