Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2010, 05:44 PM   #31

Photos: Albums
Fantastic thread I like my vintage glass so its m preset for me 95% and AV when i have a modern lens on

04-30-2010, 06:15 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hockmasm Quote
so the k-x has TONS of modes to shoot in. Including Scenes.

What do you shoot in?

I tried the filters and Toy is really cool. but i feel i will shoot mostly natural.

However, i have been trying AV mode but it seems no matter what f-stop i use the pictures look the same...the shutter adjusts.

Am i doing somethign wrong? Are you all shooting straight Manual? Or using the program modes or scene modes more often??
Interesting question, I'm not new to SLRs so I tend to use them all the same way regardless of what exposure modes are available. I have no need for scene modes, they are unnecessarily confusing and no substitute for a little tuition IMO.

I shoot in Program (when the going is easy and I have no specific goals but to capture an image), I use Av when I need to control DOF or shutter speed and I use M when I have a specific exposure goal or where the auto exposure modes would lead to difficulties or inconsistency.

I set the ISO to provide the optimal balance between illumination/shutter speed and aperture for any exposure mode.

I would suggest that you get your hands on an old style SRL guide book from a second hand book store and work through the examples so that you really understand the relationship between shutter speed, aperture and DOF. You will end up a far more competent and confident photographer for it.

Cheers,
04-30-2010, 06:18 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
M 99%
Green for snapshots such as wildlife shots from my car on the way to/from work
04-30-2010, 07:09 PM   #34
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
99.99% in AV - use other modes as I deem necessary.

Your milage will very -
Note: I have only the K10 and K20 the *istDS wa "given" to "the boy" a few months ago. He uses AV most of the time also.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL

04-30-2010, 07:49 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Av about 90% of the time. Sometimes P, though I'll usually adjust putting it into defacto Tv or Av mode. Occasionally I'll shoot TAv if I'm shooting birds that have a varying background and I want to keep shutter speed and aperture constant.
04-30-2010, 07:54 PM   #36

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mostly Av and P

If I hand it to a friend to shoot, I put it in Green.
04-30-2010, 08:37 PM   #37
Pentaxian

I'm moving this to the beginner's forum, because the questions asked and implied here are common for newcomers to digital cameras.

I'd recommend getting a good basic book on photography - pretty much any will do. It will answer your questions on how Av mode works and why shutter adjusts when you change aperture, what macro is, etc.
04-30-2010, 11:23 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
Also @ WMPB. Calm down. It was a simple question. Forgive people for using the word "mode". There is nothing wrong with using that word. Not everyone is a professional, and as for your two quoted lines below "indeed WOULD do it if you knew how to use your camera" and "You aren't DOING anything wrong. What's wrong is that you don't understand what you're doing", that is just uncalled for. Again not everyone is a super experienced photographer, which you are, so cut them some slack.

I don't believe I have ever intentionally been uncivil or insulting in this forum, or for that matter, any other forum, and I certainly didn't intend to be here. I apologize if this sounded uncharitable and wish I could withdraw the tone and rewrite.

Will