Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2010, 12:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thrifty Thirty

Since APS-C is so important now, why haven't we seen anyone come out with a fast, cheap 30 MM lens?

04-30-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
Since APS-C is so important now, why haven't we seen anyone come out with a fast, cheap 30 MM lens?
Mostly because the beginner's market wants zooms.

Pentax has had the FA 35/2, a very nice lens, was still on the market for reasonable money at least till recently.

It's definitely time, though. They being Pentax and all.
04-30-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Well, now that FF has everyone's attention, APS-C is no longer a high priority. I wouldn't be surprised if Pentax issues no new APS-C lenses. They have their hands full right now getting their 645 glass up to speed, and by the time they turn their attention back to DSLR lenses, they'll have to start thinking about introducing some FF lenses to go with their new, inevitable FF camera.
04-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Well, now that FF has everyone's attention, APS-C is no longer a high priority. I wouldn't be surprised if Pentax issues no new APS-C lenses. They have their hands full right now getting their 645 glass up to speed, and by the time they turn their attention back to DSLR lenses, they'll have to start thinking about introducing some FF lenses to go with their new, inevitable FF camera.
What makes you so sure they're going to release a full frame camera? I don't see them doing it at all, they have shown absolutely no interest in it.

04-30-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

With the S-M-C Takumar 35/2 picked up for $90 I'm good to go for a fast Thrifty Thirty-Five. Full frame or cropped.

(Why did they ever stop making Takumars?)
04-30-2010, 04:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
What makes you so sure they're going to release a full frame camera? I don't see them doing it at all, they have shown absolutely no interest in it.
The most recently released K-mount lens had complete coverage for the 35mm frame.

Back to the topic, there's still plenty of choices of prime lenses in this range, old and new. The good ones cost more than a good 50mm, and there's only one f1.4 lens. Some of the lenses I like:
  • DA 18-55 - experts might chuckle but the kit lens is hard to beat at f8, 28 to 35mm, and only a bit worse at f5.6. If you don't have a pressing need for a low-light lens in this range, keep the kit, it's definitely thrifty.
  • SMC Pentax-A or -F 28mm f2.8 - I like this formula, although opinions vary. The F version used to be cheap and unwanted in favor of the FA, now it's the other way around.
  • Vivitar 28mm - I think there's 37 different versions of Vivitar 28mm, too many to sort out here. Look here for details.
  • Sigma 28 or 30mm - if you need something new, look here.
04-30-2010, 05:15 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Tons of 28mm out there
04-30-2010, 09:25 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Nikon put out a cheap 35 recently, but they're the only ones in the APS-C world to do so. i guess pentax figures the 40 is as close as they need for now.

05-01-2010, 02:01 PM   #9

As Seacapt has mentioned, there's loads of old 28mm f2.8 lenses out there from all kinds of manufacturers. Actually, I think that Pentax could do worse than release a 28mm DA Ltd - almost perfect standard field of view on APSC.
05-01-2010, 10:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Fast and cheap? Hard to get both of those in a decent prime nowadays. You can spend the $$$ on a Sigma 30/1.4 or you can go the thrifty route and get a older manual Pentax lens for $60-70. I bought a Super-Tak 28/3.5 a couple of years ago which is a nice lens if you don't mind manual or you can always get the FA35/2 which is the prime which stays on my camera more than any other.

Jason