Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2010, 07:30 PM   #1

How do I know if pentax cameras can share lenses?

I have a pentax k-x and wanted to buy a k10d or k100d, maybe a different pentax. How do i know if I can share lenses between the two cameras? I am guessing it would be more trickier with af lenses but still not sure.

04-30-2010, 07:49 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can share lenses. All Pentax DSLR cameras take the same lenses.

The only catch is that the K100D cannot autofocus with the two SDM-only lenses - the DA 17-70mm and the DA* 55mm. The K100D Super can.

The K10D needs firmware 1.30 or higher in order to work with the two lenses mentioned.
04-30-2010, 07:52 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
I have a pentax k-x and wanted to buy a k10d or k100d, maybe a different pentax. How do i know if I can share lenses between the two cameras? I am guessing it would be more trickier with af lenses but still not sure.

Unlike Nikon and Canon, all Pentax lenses will work on all Pentax cameras, with full functionality.

As long as we limit the discussion to dslrs, the only exception is that a couple of the new lenses are HSM (in lens focus motor) only and will not work on older Pentax dslrs, which only have screw-drive, in-body focus motors. I believe that any Pentax dslr from the K100D Super or newer will support HSM lenses.

So, as far as I know, any lens that works on your K-X will work on a K10D (with firmware version 1.30). The K100D can not support HSM lenses, but otherwise would share all lenses with a K-x. A K100D Super CAN support HSM.

Anything newer than that, including the K200D, K2000/K-m, K10D, K20D and K7 can share all lenses with the K-x.

Backwards compatibility is one of Pentax's selling points. Not only will all current lenses work on all current dslrs, any k-mount lens will work on Pentax dslrs. Even screw-mount Pentax lenses work (with an adapter) on Pentax dslrs. I use a 50mm, f/1.4 Super Takumar from 1967 on my K10D and love it.
04-30-2010, 09:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

If it works one one Pentax, odds are it will work on all of them