Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-01-2010, 02:13 AM   #1

No function when SD is in by Pentax K-x

Hello dear forum members!

I just bought a new Pentax K-x and I have a real problem "starting" it.

I'm a total beginner with DSLR cameras and I read everything the manual sofar but couldn't find a solution and I hope you could help me.

The camera doesn't show any signs of functioning when the SD card is in. When I take it out, it starts and the display works but how can I make it work with the card in?

Today I turned on the camera for the first time and made the initial settings (date, time) but then it went off by itself and wouldn't start again. I thought there was something with the battery. Then I took the SD card out and tried to turn on the camera again and the display went on but you can't do anything without the card in actually, so what should I do now?

I would be very thankful for any advice!

Eliza

05-01-2010, 04:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Try a different card and use a SDHC card class 6
05-01-2010, 04:45 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps it is a problem with your sd card? Have you tried another one? I've heard that with the cheaper brands you can run into some trouble. What sort of card do you use?
05-01-2010, 04:58 AM   #4

Original Poster
SD

Thank you for the suggestions guys. Well I use a SanDisk Micro SD 2GB with Micro SD Adapter, it was originally in the package. I suppose I have to get a SDHC one instead.

05-01-2010, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forum, although I am sorry to hear your problem. Based upon a number of earlier threads on some related topic:

- Try another SD card as suggested. Preferably a Sandisk Class 6 or above.

- Make sure that your batteries are 100% charged or better brank new Lithium batteries.

- Update your firmware to have the latest.

The K-x with the earlier firmware version was very susceptible with partially-discharged batteries. The latest firmware solved the problem, but your camera might not have come with it. The new firmware is free. You must download it from Pentax, expand the file and copy the file to the SD card. Then start follow the Pentax instructions.

Hope that the suggestions will assist....
05-01-2010, 05:24 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
I use a HP 8GB SDHC card (Class4) and didn't observe any issues.

Please find a discussion on this:

Re: Joe, put your money where your big mouth is...: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Try a different card and if it didn't work, discuss this with Pentax support - Live Chat.

Customer Support - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

Thanks,
Krishna
05-01-2010, 01:32 PM   #7

Original Poster
New card solved problem

Thank you all for your quick help! I got a new card as you suggested, a SDHC Class 6 and it all works perfect now. Thanks again, you were all very helpful

05-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have noticed that the Micro SD card adapters do not not always function. In one device it's fine but in another it is simply "dead".

On the bright side, you have lost nothing. Your Micro SD will work fine in other places, just not the camera.
05-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
This might sound dumb, but make sure the card is completely empty. I have that same card in my point & shoot, and erasing the card on the computer solved the problem. Never had another issue.