Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2009, 10:14 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
the new KDE 4 version of digikam is awesome!

So far I've found it great for managing my photos.

Still getting used to editing with it, I don't do much but I do like to adjust curves and this has that capability I just haven't had many photos to edit lately.

Its interface is very intuitive, its visually pleasing and it integrates very well with my online gallery. I run a website utilizing gallery2 and its as simple as clicking "export to gallery2", slecting which album to go in and thats it.

Not as robust as lightroom or the linux knockoff (thats near the same price) lightzone? I forget what its called but I used the 30 day trial and the cost isn't worth it for what digikam does.

05-04-2009, 03:50 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Fotoxx for linux users from here...

fotoxx - kornelix

and with packages for easy install on Ubuntu here

packages - kornelix
05-05-2009, 08:58 AM   #48
Inactive Account

Hi all

I recently downloaded an invaluable piece of freeware designed by Marcus Hebel entitled SHIFT N, which automatically corrects architectural images affected by the annoying problem of "converging verticals". Click on the link below, which should take you directly to his site:

ShiftN

Best regards
Richard

P.S. Before starting to edit any photos, my advice is firstly to select Options > Type of output.
Then Un-tick the boxes for both "Trim pictures automatically" and "Sharpen" pictures, which you would probably do separately at a later stage in your chosen editing software package.
Finally, tick either Save JPEG, Save BMP or Save TIFF as required.

Last edited by Confused; 05-05-2009 at 10:04 AM.
05-06-2009, 08:14 AM   #49
AlexD

Re: What Freeware software do you use? Share ideas/

Since my computer OS is Linux, most programs are free. Here are the main ones I currently use:

GIMP. (Image editing, and general retouching).
- Free Optional Plugins. (To expand the capabilities of GIMP).
RAWTherapee. (For RAW image processing, also works with JPG/TIFF, very powerful program).
DigiKam. (For photo management (i.e. tags, ratings, albums, advanced search tool, etc.).
Hugin. (For panorama stitching).

I find the programs to be very powerful, useful, versatile -- and the best part is -- free!

Hugin, I still have a little trouble understanding, but the others are quite easy to use.

05-11-2009, 07:51 PM   #50
Veteran Member

ok so after using digikam for a few weeks i've come away with the conclusion it is a fantastic program. Far more useful than just photo management!

Curves adjustment is still a little eh for me just because my preference is to pick an anchor point and adjust with the arrow keys but thats fine.

Best features are auto lens correction for distortion, CA and another factor (i'm on my work computer) and easy uploads to flickr and gallery (the software I use for my photo gallery) as well as many other photo display websites. Importing is easy, its visually pleasing and incredibly function. If you run kubuntu or another kde 4.2 desktop you've got to try the new version of digikam
05-12-2009, 03:59 AM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
If you run kubuntu or another kde 4.2 desktop you've got to try the new version of digikam
Works on plain old Ubuntu too, Jaunty 9.04 with Gnome desktop,
download it from the repositories and Kipi plugins + docs as well.
06-26-2009, 05:40 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Kubuntu Linux 8.04.2
dcraw 8.93/1.421
ufraw 0.13
rawtherapee 2.4 RC2
kuickshow 0.8.13
geeqie 1.0beta1
gimp 2.4.5
rawstudio 1.0
exiftool 7.00
fxif 0.2.3 (Firefox plug-in)
fireuploader 0.4.1 (Firefox plug-in)
picasa 2.7 (seldom; just say "no" to WINE)

06-27-2009, 07:10 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
+1 on the CombineZ for focus stacking. It's not just for macro either...focus stacking can be a very useful tool in a variety of situations.

The developer of CombineZ is also very active in supporting the user base. That's a big plus in my book.