Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2010, 08:25 AM   #1

Remote Control for K-X

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello everyone !

Here I am going to present you my last DIY project : a remote control for my brand new K-x.
This might already be posted somewhere but I had to regroup a lot of sources to make something sure !

To begin, my first intented use of this is to command my DSLR automatically for TimeLapse purposes which is actually not possible because of the lack of wired interface on the case ...
My solution (and its working !) is to use the Kx InfraRed sensor (be sure you activate the Remote Mode when you use it), a InfraRed-Remote Control and a Remote Control with a timer !

Here are the components you're going to need :
- the Remote Control : Remote Control for PENTAX K-M K-X K-7 K200D K20D K100D - eBay (item 230447504632 end time May-08-10 19:15:33 PDT)
there are others references working but I used this one
- the timer (which is activating the the remote) : Timer Remote shutter Pentax K-m K20D K10D K200D K100D - eBay (item 280366632542 end time May-29-10 02:23:02 PDT)
Once again, the timer's design can differ from my pictures but THE IMPORTANT thing is the that connection is made by a jack (2,5mm)...

Here's where the DIY begins : include a 2,5mm female jack in the remote control !

Once opened the RC looks like this. The 2 contacts are those linked when the RC button us pushed so they also are to be put in contact by the timer !

View from the back of the card, I'm going to link the jack with the 2 contacts before the chip :

The problem of the jack's integration it the thickness of it (almost as thick as the remote ...) so you have to dig a little in the plastic (not too much => don't want to go through) (I used some dremel tools) :

One last thing about the jack ! Check your soldering and the position : At first, I had soldered it in the wrong place (like 1-2) => not working so I changed to 1-3. Please report to your timer manual to check the signal pin...

Also this is the only emplacement for the jack : you can't because of the battery contacter's spring :

One the soldering is done, fix the jack with some glue, close the remote and there you are ! I obtained something I find not so ugly :-) :

I chose this solution (jack inside) instead of :
- remote directly soldered to the contacts inside => "definitive"
- jack outside with wires soldered to the inside => a jack is always hanging ...

I'm aware that this DIY requires some accuracy and that the "two left-handed" people might took precaution to do it....

Any comments / questions about it ?

Last edited by Calcinator; 05-14-2010 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Syntax