Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2010, 03:01 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Contemplating an upgrade (*istD to K-x)

Ok,
So, I've had my istD for a while now and other than a few (greater than average amount) of hot pixels at high ISO settings. it works GREAT. I've been looking at some reviews and samples of the K-x and i'm VERY impressed, but I'm not sure if it's a real upgrade from my istD. Should I try selling off my istD and use the $$ towards a K-x? What do you guys think?

Oh and how much should I get for my *istD? It has no scratches, no worn out nothing... It looks pristine. I even have the original box and recipt. I don't have the CDs though, but I do have the USB cable. I'd also be willing to sell the DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL lens I bough brand new a year ago (also have the box, literature, receipt, etc) since the k-x comes with this lens.

I need some other opinions to make up my mind please,
Thanks!

05-02-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
Forum Member

I just went from the istD to the K7 and I am very happy I did. Like night and day from the istD.
05-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #3

Original Poster
well... yeah, the K7 is an obvious upgrade, but with the K-x I'm not so sure...
05-02-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you won't mind losing some physical controls and the top LCD screen, or the size of the *istD, I'd get the K-x. If you can't live without those physical controls and top LCD screen the K-7 is your option.

05-02-2010, 05:43 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have upgraded twice from the *istD forst to K10D and then to K7D

The K7 is a very nice camera, and is similarly sized to the *istD.

My *istD also has some hot pixels, but I would never trade it.

I have gotten the collecting old lenses but, and the *istD is the best metering camera for old lenses.

Add to that that it supports both TTL and P-TTL flash, and you have a real winner for shooting older lenses.
05-03-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
Forum Member

I agree Lowell. I use my istD with M42 lenses and it perfect for that.
05-03-2010, 11:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with you ully and Lowell.
The *ist D is one little engine that when paired with older lenses is fabulous.
Who needs all the bells and whistles when simplicitiy rules. Just the way, I want it to work.
All I need to add is a battery grip.

Last edited by Jools; 05-03-2010 at 11:09 PM.
05-04-2010, 06:48 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DavidF Quote
Ok,
So, I've had my istD for a while now and other than a few (greater than average amount) of hot pixels at high ISO settings. it works GREAT. I've been looking at some reviews and samples of the K-x and i'm VERY impressed, but I'm not sure if it's a real upgrade from my istD. Should I try selling off my istD and use the $$ towards a K-x? What do you guys think?

Oh and how much should I get for my *istD? It has no scratches, no worn out nothing... It looks pristine. I even have the original box and recipt. I don't have the CDs though, but I do have the USB cable. I'd also be willing to sell the DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL lens I bough brand new a year ago (also have the box, literature, receipt, etc) since the k-x comes with this lens.

I need some other opinions to make up my mind please,
Thanks!
It would be worth the upgrade to the K-x. Nifty lil camera and good ISO for low light.

05-05-2010, 08:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

IQ-wise upgrading to Kx make sense, but ergonomics of Kx after istD or K10D is pain in the a**. I couldn't use it.
You are going from a 2 weel, well thought layout camera with top display to a really basic camera without focusing points in viewfinder, minimum buttons, top monitor, etc. There's too much to list.
I've been using istD for 6 years I know how great this camera was, well, except 1.6 inch monitor and CF card reader that way to slooooooooow.
I would get K20D or K7