Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
purchasing questions, mainly about K-x

I'm a tad miffed at Pentax. They seem to have made this very difficult for me (and I bet I'm not alone).

I have now *ist DS, K10D and K20D. I would like to buy a new K-7 for a number of reasons, including:
  1. MUCH better display screen
  2. Faster auto-focus
  3. Video

However, I would ALSO really like to get the K-x's superior low-light/high-ISO performance. Actually, if I were listing the things I want most, that would be #1 on the list, above display screen and auto-focus and video. But the K-x has a number of downsides, from my perspective:
  1. Just one e-dial
  2. Very small body, and no grip to make it larger and easier to hold.

What I really wish they'd done is put the K-x's sensor into the K-7 body. The difference between 14 MP and 12 MP is negligible.

Am I right that there's no grip for the K-x?

Will

05-02-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

There is no grip for the K-x.

The big question to ask yourself is HOW often do you use the high-end of the ISO range? I find that I'm not using it as much as I originally thought I was going to.

That said for wedding photography as I see in your signature the K-x might make a great companion to your K20D in low-light situations (I'm thinking receptions, dark churches, etc).
05-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noahpurdy Quote
There is no grip for the K-x.
Sorry to have that confirmed.

From what I've read, the K-x is rather diminutive, and while I do understand that this is a PLUS for many people, I have big hands and I don't like the smaller cameras. I have grips for both my K10D and K20D and much prefer to shoot with the grip than without.

I guess this isn't a complete deal-breaker for me, though.

QuoteQuote:
The big question to ask yourself is HOW often do you use the high-end of the ISO range? I find that I'm not using it as much as I originally thought I was going to.

That said for wedding photography as I see in your signature the K-x might make a great companion to your K20D in low-light situations (I'm thinking receptions, dark churches, etc).
Yes, I would use it a lot. I shoot at lot now at ISO 1600, and while I get pretty good results (especially with the help of noise-reduction software) I would like to generate less noisy, more detailed raw files.

Another big plus for the K-x is its current very reasonable price.

But the lack of a grip and especially the lack of two e-dials, those are drawbacks. Have to weigh this carefully.

Thanks,

Will
05-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I had a very similar dilemma. In the end, it was the price and the fact that I probably won't need weather sealing that took me to the K-x, oh and the red color too!

I honestly would not worry so much about the noise on the K-7, not with the noise reduction capabilities of LR3. The K-7 has a superior sensor, just not in term of noise reduction.

I shoot mostly indoor photography with little available lighting and no flash, the K-x is definitely the king of that realm.

If you already have the K20D and plan on keeping it, the K-x is probably a better complement.

05-02-2010, 06:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unless you shoot above ISO 1600 very often, I see no point in buying the Kx over the K-7. At the K-7's current price, its an absolute steal
05-02-2010, 06:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Unless you shoot above ISO 1600 very often, I see no point in buying the Kx over the K-7. At the K-7's current price, its an absolute steal
Well, I DON'T often shoot above ISO 1600, but not because I don't need to. I don't because the results aren't very good. So I leave the ISO at 1600, slow down the shutter to 1/30th sec and open the aperture up as wide as possible, and hope for the best. What I would like is either to be able to shoot at ISO 1600 and get better results and/or shoot higher than ISO 1600 and get the same results.

Will