Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #1

Can my K200d be repaired?

My K200 got knocked off a table and hit hardwood floors. I'll try to describe the damage as I cant provide a pic: the lens mount ring ripped right off the body. The lens must have hit the floor first at an angle. i was left with the lens separated from the body with the mount ring attached to it, the screws came right out with it. So the body is bare> no mount ring. screws and all pulled right off. The lens appears to have escaped damage - I was able to remove the mount ring from it and it looks fine- kudos to the 50-200mm build.

Sound like this is repairable damage to the K200d??

I hope so because otherwise I'll be stuck waiting for a new model release- the K-x is too small for my hands (and missing 2 features I want: top-side lcd and viewfinder AF points ) and the K7 is beyond my budget.

Last edited by kevinfox203; 05-02-2010 at 08:56 PM.
05-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why not ask Pentax in the morning?
05-02-2010, 09:12 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to hear that.

Pentax will want you to send it to them for an estimate. If the threads on the holes stripped or the flange is bent, it might get pricey. The screws stripping out would be the cheapest fix.

You might look at the K20D which includes the two features you are looking for. No doubt some lightly-used copies are floating around as people upgrade.
05-03-2010, 05:57 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Anything can be fixed, the question is really more if it is worth it to you. I doubt that it is worth the price of sending it for an estimate to get it done. The reality is that there are plenty of K10s/K20s out there that you could spend on instead. Often there are loosened connections internally after such a fall and you will develop problems down the road.

05-03-2010, 06:17 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Get a 2nd hand K20D instead
05-03-2010, 06:59 AM   #6

Badly damaged K200d....

The K20d is the same as the K200d plus some.... I owned the K200d for about six months and sold it to buy a lightly used K20d.

Never regretted it for a moment for lots of reasons....it will be a long time before I sell it.

Sooooo...if the repair is too expensive sell it and is and get a K20d. You won"r regret it.
Best of Luck Dave
05-03-2010, 05:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

for the record, I know how bad it sucks. My K200d's mode dial recently scrambled meaning I lost key modes greatly inhibiting my ability. I sent it in for an estimate and they wanted over $200..... I refused and was able to work out a plan with my parents. I now own a brand new K-7, with my K200d as a backup

(im 16)

05-04-2010, 09:58 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Sorry to hear that.

Pentax will want you to send it to them for an estimate. If the threads on the holes stripped or the flange is bent, it might get pricey. The screws stripping out would be the cheapest fix.

You might look at the K20D which includes the two features you are looking for. No doubt some lightly-used copies are floating around as people upgrade.
Had a closer look- seems the screw holes are stripped out. I would have expected the screws to be fastened to the metal frame but nope, to the plastic body instead.
Had my hands on a K-x today. I just didn't feel substantial enough- felt like if it was dropped it would be in 100 pieces. Not that the weight and 'ruggedness' of the the K200d did me much good.
05-04-2010, 10:02 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I suppose if the mirror mechanism and electronics are fine, you could put a screwmount on it and get another body for regular use.
05-04-2010, 10:07 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Daveinozbikes Quote
The K20d is the same as the K200d plus some.... I owned the K200d for about six months and sold it to buy a lightly used K20d.

Never regretted it for a moment for lots of reasons....it will be a long time before I sell it.

Sooooo...if the repair is too expensive sell it and is and get a K20d. You won"r regret it.
Best of Luck Dave
I looked at the specs of the K20d: it's a 100g heavier than the k200d. Too heavy. guess i'm hard to please -the kx is not sturdy enough and the K20d is over the top. guess Im paying to get the k200d fixed.

EDIT 05/22: extra weight of the k20d isnt an issue after all- Ive been using NiMHs in my K200d which makes the weight very close to a K20d.

Last edited by kevinfox203; 05-22-2010 at 09:59 PM.
05-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinfox203 Quote
Had a closer look- seems the screw holes are stripped out. I would have expected the screws to be fastened to the metal frame but nope, to the plastic body instead.
Couldn't fatter screws be used to fasten the ring to the stripped-out holes in the body? Or, could the holes be filled in with something like epoxy, and re-tapped?

I don't know what would happen with the electrical contacts, though. The camera might have to be in manual mode permanently?
05-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kevin, I went from an *ist DS (broke) to a K200D - great camera - then went to a K10D (not happy with it) and now have a K20D. MUCH better camera for the money - faster AF, better low light function, live view is really nice for close ups - all-in-all, I'm really happy I ended up with the K20D over the K200D.

Like you, I was concerned about the extra weight (I have arhritis in my hands/finders) but I find it balances nicely, specially with longer lenses. I also use one of those "egg" hand grips (have since the DS) and find it really helps me hold the camera.

Good luck whichever way you go.
05-05-2010, 04:20 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
Couldn't fatter screws be used to fasten the ring to the stripped-out holes in the body? Or, could the holes be filled in with something like epoxy, and re-tapped?

I don't know what would happen with the electrical contacts, though. The camera might have to be in manual mode permanently?
Fatter screws won't fit through the mount ring that they are fastening.

I think the electrical contacts are fine. They protrude from the plastic case and the mount ring is screwed over top. the mount ring was tore off but the contacts appear undamaged..
05-05-2010, 04:21 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
Kevin, I went from an *ist DS (broke) to a K200D - great camera - then went to a K10D (not happy with it) and now have a K20D. MUCH better camera for the money - faster AF, better low light function, live view is really nice for close ups - all-in-all, I'm really happy I ended up with the K20D over the K200D.

Like you, I was concerned about the extra weight (I have arhritis in my hands/finders) but I find it balances nicely, specially with longer lenses. I also use one of those "egg" hand grips (have since the DS) and find it really helps me hold the camera.

Good luck whichever way you go.
so i know of a used k20 with 1500 actuations on it selling for $560, good deal?

Last edited by kevinfox203; 05-05-2010 at 06:16 PM.
05-06-2010, 12:37 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would go with filling the holes. I would try gluing in a plastic rods ( PVC, not styrene ) with a special plastic glue, and then drilling to fit the screws. See your local hobby shop for plastic rods and glue. Even filled with a good glue, like a slow set epoxy should do. Don't use 5 minute epoxy, it is more brittle than slow set