Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2010, 08:35 PM   #1

Pepsi on viewfinder eyepiece, cleaning help needed.

Okay, this whole thing is crazy. Today I was visiting family, I brought my camera with me. I pulled out my camera to take a few group shots of everyone. My Nephew was instantly very interested in it, so afterwards I was showing him the camera and let him take some pictures. I went off for a few minutes, leaving the camera with my Nephew. I was gone for about five minutes when I hear a "Uh Oh" and I go to investigate. Evidently my nephew had gotten a can of pepsi to drink, and when he opened it some sprayed on the back of my k200d, I wasn't overly concerned because I knew it was weather sealed, and reassured him that it was fine. I wiped it off with a paper towel, used some clean water on a fresh paper towel and wiped it down again. I put the camera in the bag to keep it safe.

I got home about an hour ago, I decided I should make sure I cleaned it all off adequately. That's when I noticed some had gotten on the outside of the viewfinder. It is still partially wet and sticky.

I have dabbed at it with a PEC pad folded around a pen, I've put a few drops of alcohol on the pec pad and was able to get more off. I believe I have gotten a great deal of it off, but I can't really get it all, as it's impossible to easily get it all or absorb it. What happens is, I can clean the center of the viewfinder, but the sticky pepsi has mostly just been pushed to the edges. It just kind of moves around. I really don't want to let the pepsi dry on there, as I figure it's just going to be more difficult to clean.

Any suggestions or other methods of cleaning would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

05-02-2010, 08:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Q-tips might be more effective.
05-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd probably just run some low-pressure warm water on it for a few seconds, then dry it carefully.
05-02-2010, 11:47 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cosmic Debris Quote
Okay, this whole thing is crazy. Today I was visiting family, I brought my camera with me. I pulled out my camera to take a few group shots of everyone. My Nephew was instantly very interested in it, so afterwards I was showing him the camera and let him take some pictures. I went off for a few minutes, leaving the camera with my Nephew. I was gone for about five minutes when I hear a "Uh Oh" and I go to investigate. Evidently my nephew had gotten a can of pepsi to drink, and when he opened it some sprayed on the back of my k200d, I wasn't overly concerned because I knew it was weather sealed, and reassured him that it was fine. I wiped it off with a paper towel, used some clean water on a fresh paper towel and wiped it down again. I put the camera in the bag to keep it safe.

I got home about an hour ago, I decided I should make sure I cleaned it all off adequately. That's when I noticed some had gotten on the outside of the viewfinder. It is still partially wet and sticky.

I have dabbed at it with a PEC pad folded around a pen, I've put a few drops of alcohol on the pec pad and was able to get more off. I believe I have gotten a great deal of it off, but I can't really get it all, as it's impossible to easily get it all or absorb it. What happens is, I can clean the center of the viewfinder, but the sticky pepsi has mostly just been pushed to the edges. It just kind of moves around. I really don't want to let the pepsi dry on there, as I figure it's just going to be more difficult to clean.

Any suggestions or other methods of cleaning would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Try a little dish washing detergent on your pec-pad, followed by repeated rinses using clean pec-pads. Use a tooth pick to help push the pad into the edge areas.

The stuff works to get pepsi off of drinking glasses, I don't see why it won't work (and in fact know it does) for cleaning things like viewfinders, LCD screens, etc (even works for lens filters).

05-03-2010, 06:44 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I'd probably just run some low-pressure warm water on it for a few seconds, then dry it carefully.
I'm a little concerned about doing that, because I don't know just how good the weather sealing is on the viewfinder to inside. I've had a film camera get wet on the outside viewfinder and some seeped in, the focusing screen was never the same after that.

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Q-tips might be more effective.
Yeah, I did end up using some q-tips last night, they did help a bit more. But I really don't like the way they leave behind little tiny fibers.

Right now there is still a quite a bit of a pepsi smear visible, as well as some fibers that got stuck. When I press my eye right up against the viewfinder all of this is pretty much invisible, but looking through it about 1/2 inch to an inch away I can see all of it quite clearly, and it is rather distracting.

I'm a little worried about putting too much force with a q-tip or other cleaning implement, because that seems like it could scratch the viewfinder glass. I'm trying to take a picture with my P&S camera, but it's hard to get a clear picture to show you guys.

I might consider using a tiny bit of detergent next, but I'm worried about being able to adequately wash that off. I'd like some input if I can safely run low pressure water over the viewfinder without any getting inside the camera and fogging the focusing screen.

thanks
05-03-2010, 07:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pepsi (as Coke) is mostly sugar and pretty much nothing else.

So, sugar is water soluble. Alcohol will do nothing to get rid of the residue. You need simply much more water to wash it off, nothing else. If, finally, a thin film is left over, that is not sticky anymore, wiping that off with isopropyl alcohol might help, but it shouldn't be necessary.

Ben
05-05-2010, 02:38 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the help everyone. I successfully cleaned it with a little mild dish soap and flushing with plenty of water. I simply held the camera lens pointed up and washed the outside viewfinder with the kitchen sink hose set at the lowest possible pressure. The weather sealing protected the camera beautifully. After letting it dry on a towel overnight, I checked this morning and it's as good as new, I can't see ANY blemish or mark on the viewfinder at all. No sticky pepsi residue anywhere to be found either.