Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2010, 02:46 AM   #1

Black bar on top of image?

I sold my K10D to a friend, and now, suddenly all her photos have a rather big black bar on the top. I've attached an example. I added a straight red line to the photo to make it clear that the black bar is leaning a tiny bit.

Now I haven't been able to look at the camera, but I had her try another lens, and shoot up side down. I had her look in and shoot with the lens of and the mirror seems to be going all the way (but I can't be sure).

Somebody else was using the camera when it went from good to bad, so she has no idea if it got bumped or something.

Any ideas?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
05-03-2010, 03:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It could be a couple of things, either the shutter plane is not fully opening, or perhaps the mirror is not flipping up fully (or at least not quickly enough), but either way most certainly in need of physical repair.

Did this "somebody else" stick their fingers in the camera to see how it works?

Just curious, does the black bar change position with shutter speed?
05-03-2010, 03:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'll hazard a guess the shutter is failing and in need of a replacement shutter.
05-03-2010, 04:27 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks. Good idea trying different shutter speeds. Not sure what it will tell me, if it is, but more data can never hurt

I wonder if it, financially, makes sense to get the shutter replaced. Probably cheaper to buy another K10D used.

05-03-2010, 05:03 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
its the shutter

My K10D failed exactly the same way.

Pentax Canada fixed mine out of warranty for $325.

In total they replaced the mirror assemby, the shutter and the lens mount plus a complete cleaning of the camera. came back clean as new
05-05-2010, 07:57 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks everybody.
05-05-2010, 08:43 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tcdk Quote
Thanks. Good idea trying different shutter speeds. Not sure what it will tell me, if it is, but more data can never hurt

I wonder if it, financially, makes sense to get the shutter replaced. Probably cheaper to buy another K10D used.
IF it is the shutter, and I have no reason to think it isn't, different shutter speeds may change the size of the bar. This is exactly what would happen (only it would be vertical rather than horizontal) when I use to forget to properly sync my flash to my Olympus OM cameras.