Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2010, 07:16 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Did you have any insurance

Hi,

How many of you have an insurance for your camera?

Personally I have such an insurance (part of my house insurance), so if the camera lost, stolen or just broke - I can claim for the costs.

The insurance is not expensive (about 70$ per year).

05-03-2010, 09:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All risk insurance; 0.2% of value per month. I can drop my FA31LTD in the sea or on some rocks and the insurance will pay (so they say).

Last edited by sterretje; 05-03-2010 at 08:25 PM. Reason: added: per month
05-03-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I had insurance for quite some time on my camera and dropped it (the insurance not the camera)

the cost was between 1% and 2% of the insured value.

The point is you have general insurance any way, and it will cover the replacement cost (less osme deductable) for loss (theft).

I am not sure the extra was worth it, in covering the camera, but I do have an absolute list of all my stuff. Insurance makes you do that and it is worth while just so if something does happen you can give the police a complete list.
05-03-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
The point is you have general insurance any way, and it will cover the replacement cost (less osme deductable) for loss (theft).

In general, if you use your gear for business, your home owner's/renter's policy won't cover the items.

Even if you don't us it for business, most policies have a payout amount, and may not actually cover the replacement cost of high value items unless you get a rider for the items.

05-03-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In Canada, photo gear insurance is covered by regular home insurance. Up to the level agreed upon by both parties, and with the deductible that was also agreed upon.
05-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #6

I just got a seperate policy for my cameras and gear. The coverage under the homeowners policy would not nearly cover my outfit. The new policy costs $14 per $1000 in value of the items! To me that helps with peace of mind a bunch!
05-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Added it to my homeowner's last year. The agent wanted an inventory with descriptions and acqusition costs. Good discipline!

If there was an additional charge, it must have been minimal as I don't recall anything about it. I think it was more a matter of documenting the risk before reporting the loss. Makes sense.
05-03-2010, 07:03 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Unruely Quote
I just got a seperate policy for my cameras and gear. The coverage under the homeowners policy would not nearly cover my outfit. The new policy costs $14 per $1000 in value of the items! To me that helps with peace of mind a bunch!
Same with me here in Michigan (USA). I have all my gear on a separate rider on the house insurance. I pay about what you do. Lots of piece of mind for sure. I sent my insurance company a detailed list of my gear, every little piece including filters (in case of a major lose) and serial numbers, which has been changed many times. I keep all receipts in a safe place; to try and keep problems down if I have to make a claim.

05-04-2010, 03:59 AM   #9

I did the same, a detailed list of everypiece I have! I included filters, memory cards, batteries, tripods, bags, etc.. I supplied them with the replacement cost and serial numbers for everything that had one. About the only thing it doesnt cover the gear for is war! lol.
05-04-2010, 02:23 PM   #10
Pentaxian

My homeowners policy would cover my gear, but only up to a certain limit if the gear is used professionally, and also only up to a certain limited if the loss occurs outside the home. I've had the opportunity to test both those clauses before - not with cameras - and they mean what they say. Caps were something like $1000 if the loss occurred at home, $400 otherwise. Also, very limited coverage for items simply dropped or otherwise damaged due to an case not specifically covered by the policy (eg, theft and fire are covered, but not someone spilling Pepsi on it). No way would I want to subject myself to those limitations on my photo gear. So I spend an additional $40/year to cover my photo gear and laptops for professional use and for all risk worldwide, no deductible ("personal articles" policy from State Farm). This policy also requires an itemized list.
05-04-2010, 03:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I've had the opportunity to test both those clauses before
Did you get your homeowners insurance dropped as a result?
I've heard nightmare stories about people filing somewhat minor claims on stuff like cameras or racing bikes and the company dropped them and it was hard to get homeowners insurance after that. That's why I'd get a 3rd party policy if I ever did insure my gear...
05-04-2010, 09:02 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Did you get your homeowners insurance dropped as a result?
No.