Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2007, 09:20 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
out of curiosity, and sorry for thread jacking, but for those users out there of PSP, any opinions on the effectiveness of the noise reduction feature?

07-28-2007, 06:13 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
In reply to "Vagrant 10":

QuoteQuote:
it does appear that you've tried to update your program
As I stated in my original post, I am currently still using PaintShop Pro v. 8, but have not yet updated to version X or XI. I was simply trying to ascertain from Corel if their latest product would be capable of editing the files produced by the K10D BEFORE upgrading. Obviously there is no earthly point in me doing so until this major issue is fixed !!!!!!!!!! I'm sorry I'm not able to help you with your last question....
07-29-2007, 10:28 AM   #18
Forum Member

Recenty I saw a web reference to the K10D PEF format which stated that it is the same as the K100 PEF but the file header identifies the camera as the K10D. Unfortunately I did not save the post....can anyone confirm this?

If true the there is no excuse for software publishers for not giving us a K10D update. Also if true, one could try to modify the PEF header file to see if they it be read.

I have the same problem with Breeze Browser Pro, the latest version 1.7.1 will read on the embeded JPEG but will not allow conversion of of the PEF to JPEG or TIFF. I wrote Chris Breeze and got a typical "so?" answer.

Seems to me that these developers are in the pockets of "CaNikon"
07-29-2007, 11:48 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
To "dmdctusa"

QuoteQuote:
Recently I saw a web reference to the K10D PEF format which stated that it is the same as the K100 PEF but the file header identifies the camera as the K10D.
Thanks for that invaluable piece of info. It seems like a case of "so near and yet SO FAR !".........Grrrrrr.
COREL CORPORATION or whatever you call yourself nowadays, PLEASE get your BL....DY FINGER OUT and DO SOMETHING about this, like YESTERDAY !!!!!!!! Capiche ??? Otherwise I'll have no option but to set the wife on you and THAT could turn out REAL NASTY....

Last edited by Confused; 07-29-2007 at 12:07 PM.
07-29-2007, 01:24 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Vagrant10

The noise feature on PSP isn't the best in my opinion. I never use it. I do however use "Noiseware Community Edition". It is a freeware and well worth a try. The only think I wished the freeware version didn't do was eliminate the EXIF data from the photo, but I can definitely live with it as it is a free program.
07-30-2007, 04:15 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Paint Shop Pro X Does Support DNG Files Created by K10D.

After reading Lowell Goudge's earlier message, I decided to do some more testing with the program. I soon discovered that Paint Shop Pro X (version 10.03) will indeed open (read/no write) Adobe DNG files created with the K10D. The trick is to not use the Pixmatec Raw Shooter Essentials software bundled with PSP X, but instead open the file using the standard "Open" selection under the "File" menu. When the DNG RAW file opens, a dialog box instantly appears offering initial adjustments (brightness, contrast, saturation, etc).

I've tested this with over thirty DNG files, all opening without any problems whatsoever. The only issue is about 1cm (3/8 inch) of multi-colored stripes along the right side of the image. I believe this is extra data in the file being displayed, not part of the original image. Anyway, quick use of the selection tool, followed by "Crop to Selection," takes care of this very handily.

Sadly, nothing tried (adding alternative filename extensions, etc) resulted in PEF files opening (repeated "not recognized as a supported file type" error messages).

stewart

Last edited by stewart_photo; 07-30-2007 at 04:25 AM.
07-30-2007, 04:24 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
out of curiosity, and sorry for thread jacking, but for those users out there of PSP, any opinions on the effectiveness of the noise reduction feature?

I don't use it very often with the K10D, but constantly use it with image files created by my wife's noisy Fujifilm bridge camera. It works absolute wonders on those files, but I find it a little too much for better images like those created with the K10D. Of course, this may be because I'm not setting it correctly. Perhaps some lower settings might prove much more effective for somewhat less noisy files needing just a tiny bit of tweaking.

stewart

07-30-2007, 06:35 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hack code for RSE

At dpreview someone wrote some code to hack RSE/RSP (Rawshooter ect.) to open K100 and I believe K10 files. That should work for the RSE "module".
K10D K100D Rawshooter success !!!: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Happy hacking........
07-30-2007, 11:12 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
To "jeffkrol"

Thanks for the useful link, although I'm afraid most of this technical stuff is really a bit beyond me at the moment. I'm probably not supposed to do this, but I've 'borrowed' two extracts from that link, which appear to encapsulate one possible solution:

QuoteQuote:
If you run your K10D DNG files through Adobe DNG Converter 3.6 before opening in Rawshooter, the colour problem does not happen. There's a link to the Adobe DNG Converter download next to the link for the modified .exe download.
Yes, on the face of it you are converting from DNG to DNG which looks like no change, but it fixes the colour problem.
AND

QuoteQuote:
The DNG reader for RSE/RSP was written in too restricted a fashion to only handle the formats as output by the Adobe Convertor and did not handle the ***full*** specification including packed byte compression as used by the Pentax K10D.
The strange bytes on the one edge are the Totally Weird Photosites (TWP, a technical term ;-) that are in the raw data for 36 columns and are present in the processed RSE/RSP images because they do not handle the recommended crop area tags or the Active Area tags in DNG.
I haven't the faintest idea what 'packed byte compression' is, but could this be the root problem in explaining why so many editing packages seem unable to 'edit' the RAW files produced by the K10D ??? Over to those more knowledgeable than I to comment on this info ???
07-30-2007, 03:41 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What Luck! The day after reading in this thread that PSP 11.x will read my K1x0D files, Corel popped up an update offer of $39.95. This is the lowest update price I've been offered so I ordered it.