Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2007, 09:56 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Argh !! Apparent Paintshop Pro XI problem with K10D ??

I have been using Paintshop Pro v.8 quite happily for many years, but not unsurprisingly things have moved on a bit & it's incapable of opening and editing RAW files, including those produced by my K10D. Having read conflicting reports about the wisdom of installing the latest v. XI of PSP, I telephoned Corel's UK support number this afternoon and was astonished to discover that apparently even their very latest XI version is NOT YET CAPABLE of editing either Pentax K10D DNG or Pentax PEF files !!!! However, if you study Adobe's own web-site, Paintshop Pro's earlier v. X is clearly listed as being compatible with Adobe DNG files ??
Well, I'm 'Confused' and I'm even more Confused !! Has anyone had experience of using a K10D with PSP v. X or even v. XI and how have you got on ?????

QUOTE FROM ADOBE WEBSITE:

DNG software support

DNG is supported by Adobe® Photoshop® CS2, Photoshop CS, Photoshop Elements 3.0, and Photoshop Elements 4.0 software. The following applications have indicated read or write support for DNG files, and new or existing applications are adding support on a regular basis.

Company Product Read/Write

Canto Cumulus 6.0.3 Read
Corel Paint Shop Pro X Read
Corel Photo Album 6 Read

Camera raw formats supported by Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo (listings in bold are new for version 11.11):

* Canon EOS-1D Mark II, 10D, 20D, Rebel, Rebel XT, 300D, 350D, Kiss, Kiss n, D30, D60
* PowerShot G3, S30, S40, S50, S60, Pro1
* Fuji FinePix F700, S5000Z, S7000Z
* Kodak DCS 720X, DCS 760C, DCS 760M
* Konica Minolta DiMAGE 5, 7, 7Hi, 7i, DiMAGE A1, A2, Maxxum7D/Dynax7D, Dynax5D
* Nikon Coolpix 8800, D1H, D1X, D2H, D50, D70, D70s, D100, D200
* Olympus C-5050, C-5060, C-8080, E-1, E-10, E-20
* Pentax *ist D
* Sony DSCF828, DSC-R1, DSC-V3

Last edited by Confused; 07-27-2007 at 11:00 AM.
07-27-2007, 11:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are astonished you say???

What is worse, is that I asked customer support about this in february, and was requested to upload to their FTP site, photos taken with my K10D for them to evaluate and update the program such that it could import the PEF files from the K10D.

As a follow up over a month later, the response back was that although I supplied them with everything they requested, they would not necessairly do anything with the data and would make no gaurantee that they would ever upgrade the software.

My response to them was that after being a loyal customer for 3 versions of softeware (8, X and XI) they (corel) were doing their best to insure that I would become a loyal customer of Adobe in the future.

they did not respond
07-27-2007, 11:55 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Blimey Lowell,

Thanks for your rapid reply. I had perhaps naively assumed that v. XI of Paint Shop Pro would at least be capable of processing either/both Pentax K10D PEF & DNG Raw files by now ! I can't believe that you have actually been waiting since February to get some kind of sense out of Corel's so-called Customer Support section. JEEZ, I mean REALLY !!......I kind of got the impression that they weren't too bothered whether my K10D worked with their software or not ! It's a FAR CRY from when JASC used to underpin their product. I'm afraid that once these lumbering behemoths get hold of another company's software, a kind of slow lingering corporate lethargy rapidly begins to infect the subsequent usability of otherwise previously excellent products at core level........that's right folks, it's Bloatware time again !!
Incidentally, can Adobe Elements v. 5.0 yet cope with the requirements of Pentax's K10D ?
07-27-2007, 12:14 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I will do a little digging. I have both programs and a K10D to play around with.

I have Adobe CS2 installed, and I know it reads Pentax PEF files with no problems.

I just tried it in Corel paintshop pro XI, and it won't even read a PEF file.

Taken directly from the Canadian Corel site.

QuoteQuote:
Paint Shop Pro 9’s Raw Camera support currently supports the following camera models:

Canon 300D Rebel, D30, D60, 10D, 1D, 1Ds, 1D Mark II, Powershot G3, Powershot G5

See *Note below for more Canon models
Nikon D1, D1h, D100, D2h, D1X, D70

Olympus 5050, 5060, E1, E10, E20; Fuji S2 Pro, S7000
Pentax *istD
Minolta A1, A2
Kodak 760, 14N, 14c

Support for additional cameras models will be provided through Paint Shop Pro's auto-update feature as they become available. If you have a camera that is not currently supported, please send us the make and model of your specific camera. It would also be very helpful if you could provide us with a sample image taken with your camera. Feel free to email your camera information to Technical Support. Technical Support will provide you with instructions for supplying a sample image file. You can email Technical Support by clicking the E-mail Tab above or by directing your web browser to http://support.corel.com and select the E-mail tab.

*NOTE: We have added support for Canon Powershot S50, G2 EOS and 20D cameras with our 9.01 update patch. You can obtain this patch by going to Help | Jasc Software Online | Check for updates within Paint Shop Pro 9.

Additionally, If your specific camera model is not directly supported by Paint Shop Pro 9, we have another product that we distribute called RawShooter essentials 2005. This is available for free by clicking here. Rawshooter has support for many camera models not currently supported by Paint Shop Pro 9.

RawShooter will allow you to open your Raw images and convert them to either .tif or .jpg so that you can edit the images with Paint Shop™ Pro® 9.

If you would like more detailed information about RawShooter (including a list of all supported camera models), Click here.

Look at the Subject titled "NEW! v. x.x Version of RawShooter essentials released!" (where x.x is the current release number).
I downloaded RawShooter Essentials to find out if this would work..and no it doesn't. It will not recognize the K10D PEF file either.

At this point, it looks like Corel isn't supporting Pentax as you stated.

07-27-2007, 12:47 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
With the update to version 11.20 i can now open the .pef file from my k 100d pentax, i dont know for the k10d but for mine there is no problem.

From corel web site:

We have added support for the following models in Paint Shop Pro Photo XI with the 11.20 update patch.

Nikon D80
Olympus e500
Sony 100 Alpha
Canon 5D, Rebel Xti, 400D, Kiss Digital X
Konica Minolta Alpha-7 Digital, Alpha Sweet Digital
Pentax 100D, 110D, *ist DL2

bye

Last edited by lequynorm; 07-27-2007 at 12:53 PM.
07-27-2007, 01:16 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I have version 11.20 and it will not read a K10D PEF file.
07-27-2007, 01:20 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Note that there is something different in the K10D file that makes it impossible to load in V11.2.

The DNG does work, but there are some interesting bands on the sides of the images.
07-27-2007, 01:25 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks everybody for your assistance. Does v.11.2 work with Adobe DNG RAW files ?

Last edited by Confused; 07-28-2007 at 06:00 AM.
07-27-2007, 02:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
I have been using Paintshop Pro v.8 quite happily for many years, but not unsurprisingly things have moved on a bit & it's incapable of opening and editing RAW files, including those produced by my K10D. (snip)

As others say, Paint Shop Pro (any version) does not support the Pentax PEF or Adobe DNG file formats. However, you can still edit your images with PSP by first using the Pentax Photo Laboratory included with your camera to convert either RAW file format into an uncompressed TIFF file. This allows you to do the basic RAW adjustments in Photo Laboratory before moving on to TIFF and PSP. Afterwards, you'll have the edited TIFF file to use and the unedited RAW file for a potential backup.

stewart
07-27-2007, 02:33 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Stewart

Thanks for your help. I loaded the supplied Pentax editing software onto my computer for a quick look-see and although your commendable suggestion would be useful as a temporary stop-gap, I am highly unimpressed that Corel/PSP have yet to get their finger out in the case of the K10D. At least there seemed to be mention of support in the very latest available download (v. 11.20 ) for K100 & K110 owners etc. I personally prefer the way PSP operates and hope there will be a fix in the very near future ? Can anyone assist re the query concerning Adobe Elements v. 5.0 working with Pentax's K10D DNG or PEF RAW files ?

Last edited by Confused; 07-27-2007 at 03:11 PM.
07-27-2007, 03:46 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have been using PSP XI for a couple months now and it handles PEF RAW files just fine, though I had to download something off of Corel's website. Generally I have been happy with it, but I have not taken it anywhere near its potential since I'm a newb to all this... but it's fun regardless One thing though, I have a K110D, but I would assume the PEF file in my cam vs the K10 should be the same except for file size...
07-27-2007, 04:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
(snip) although your commendable suggestion would be useful as a temporary stop-gap, I am highly unimpressed that Corel/PSP have yet to get their finger out in the case of the K10D. (snip)

I wasn't disputing any comments (yours or others) regarding Corel's apparent comatose torpor towards supporting the K10D. Instead, I was simply providing one path to pursue in the meantime. Personally, I was rather astonished to see version XI, the so-called "Photo" version, supporting so few digital cameras. In the end, since any future Coral RAW solution will not likely work with older PSP versions (including my version X), I'll likely move on to another photo editing product before buying yet another version of PSP.

stewart
07-27-2007, 04:46 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
In reply to "vagrant10", it would seem that there is something slightly different between the files created in the K10D and it's K100/K110 siblings ! Corel UK stated categorically that K10D DNG or PEF RAW files are not currently supported within Paint Shop Pro v. XI (v. 11.20) and their web-site would unfortunately tend to confirm this fact......Yah boo hiss........accompanied by much foot-stamping !!!!

and to "stewart_photo", please rest assured that your advice was most welcome and greatly appreciated as a way to avoid the present PSP impasse !! However I'm not particularly enamoured by Elements v. 5 and unless Corel 'can get their act together' and sort this present conundrum out pretty sharpish, I may reluctantly have no choice but to abandon PSP's rapidly sinking ship !!

Last edited by Confused; 07-27-2007 at 05:00 PM.
07-27-2007, 07:26 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
that is disappointing as it seems you have become comfortable with how PSP works and it does appear that you've tried to update your program. of course if you would like to email me a pic (assuming it's less than 10mb, my current email limit) for me to try, I'd be happy to give that a shot.

good luck to you!
07-27-2007, 07:43 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've been using PSP for quite awhile, currently version 10. Virtually all my photos pass through PSP for Clarify, Crop, and Scale. Occasionally I use other processing commands but those three do most of what I need. I've never thought an upgrade to 11 was worthwhile until I read this thread, now that my K1x0Ds are supported for RAW I plan to upgrade.

I've always done my RAW conversion with Pentax Laboratory of Images Plus.