Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2010, 07:29 AM   #1

Question about the duty cycle of the shutter

I was looking at the k20d and didn't see what the duty cycle of the shutter was but I also had a question. What happens when you reach that or when the shutter dies? Is it cheaper to buy another camera or have it fixed? I thought about buying a used k20d and saw various number of clicks. To me it's analogous to miles on a car but don't know about cost to fix or what high miles are for a camera. thanks.

05-03-2010, 07:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The moment a camera hits the number of rated shutter actuations, it will immediately cease to stop working and you will have to get the shutter mechanism replaced...

Seriously though, the number of shutter actuations that a camera is rated for is only a rough guideline, e.g. the K10D is rated for 100,000 shutter actuations, which means that the shutter mechanism has been designed to last at least 100,000 actuations. While most K10D shutter mechanisms should work to 100,000 and beyond, due to sample variation and other factors, there will be the occasional K10D that has its shutter die before the 100,000 mark. But unless you really like machine gunning your shots on continuous mode, it's not something to be overly concerned about; it's just another way to work out how much use the camera has been subjected to.

As to whether it is cheaper to buy another camera, depending on how old your camera is, chances are it would be a more economical decision to get another camera. I average about 1500 actuations per month on my cameras, and at this rate, it'd take about six years to get to the 100,000 mark, and in dSLR terms, a six year old camera is OLD technology, and even if my K10D did fail in 4 years time, it'd probably be time for a upgrade anyway.
10-27-2010, 06:24 AM   #3

Duty cycle

My K20D is 500 shy of 30 000 in 14 months, I'd better start saving. My iST did about 60 000 in its life, and was sold in great working order.

I received the camera with some faulty pixels on the sensor (about a dozen) and am thankful that has not got any worse, but I am watching carefully.
10-27-2010, 06:41 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
my bet is some other parts of the DSLR will die first before the shutter mechanism.

10-27-2010, 08:38 AM   #5

Sorry for the stupid question, but how do you figure out how many times the shutter has been fired?

Is it based off the numerical filename of saved pictures or something?

Thanks,

Adam
10-27-2010, 08:54 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by adamfogerty Quote
Sorry for the stupid question, but how do you figure out how many times the shutter has been fired?

Is it based off the numerical filename of saved pictures or something?

Thanks,

Adam
The number of shutter actuations is embedded in each and every shot you take. You can view it in one of your last JPEGs with a proper EXIF reader (such as PhotoME). Please note that many photo editing programs strip out the EXIF. So always use one straight out of the camera.
10-27-2010, 09:05 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
The number of shutter actuations is embedded in each and every shot you take. You can view it in one of your last JPEGs with a proper EXIF reader (such as PhotoME). Please note that many photo editing programs strip out the EXIF. So always use one straight out of the camera.
Is XnView (the software I use) an acceptable program?

--DragonLord
10-27-2010, 09:11 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
Is XnView (the software I use) an acceptable program?
Try it out. If the EXIF is gone afterwards then you know enough

10-27-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
Inactive Account

check out Check shutter count online - My Shutter Count.com and upload your last photo taken, it will give you the answer. On my K-m my shutter count was 12000 and I've had it just over a year. So if I average 1000 photos/month my K-7 that I bought used (shutter count at 1947) should last me just over 8 years or so. Trust me I'll be upgrading before then.
10-27-2010, 11:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by needtime2scrap Quote
check out Check shutter count online - My Shutter Count.com and upload your last photo taken, it will give you the answer. On my K-m my shutter count was 12000 and I've had it just over a year. So if I average 1000 photos/month my K-7 that I bought used (shutter count at 1947) should last me just over 8 years or so. Trust me I'll be upgrading before then.
and please update the Camera Shutter Life Expectancy Database with your experiences.
10-27-2010, 12:25 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the "duty cycle" of the shutter as you put it is not the correct expression,

the correct expression is life.

As the shutter is an electro mechanical device, a large portion of the shutter failure rate and or end of life is dependant on mechanical operations and wear. That is why there is a published life estimate.

This does not mean, however, that the shutter magically stops working at 100K operations, just as no car stops at 100,000 miles, (which is considered by many makers to be a reasonable life).

what it means is that if you take a large population of shutters, the number of mechanical cycles before 50% of them fail should be close to 100K cycles, that is all.

My K10D failed at 10K for no reason, but it was out of warranty so I paid to get it fixed. I did so because the cost estimate (and final price from pentax canada) was just over $300, which I felt was worth it for the camera. Overall, they put a shutter, mirror assembly and lens mount into the camera plus full clean and test for $325. Came back looking like new except for the brassing at the strap loops.

every one will have to decide for themselves if getting a DSLR is worth it, or not. For me, a harder choice would be my *istD which I keep for TTL compatability. I would not want to loose TTL flahs with my MF primes, but unless pentax brings back TTL capability on at least one level of camera I think I would try to get mine fixed if it ever fails.