Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2010, 11:25 AM   #1

Thinking of upgrading from DS2 to K7

Hello fellow Pentaxians! I've finally migrated from the "other" forum after seeing more familiar names here than there.

I''ve been thinking it might be finally time to upgrade from my trusty ol DS2 to a K7. Although I know that there are several real technical advantages the K7 offers (Focus assist lamp, faster AF, Hyper Program, etc...), I was wondering if the K7 would be definite upgrade in terms of dynamic range and high ISO performance.

I don't need super good quality high ISO performance as long as it's better than the DS2 (which is admittedly quite poor I suppose). More important to me is dynamic range, which to me was always one of the limiting factors on the DS2.

Any comments or insights welcome!

05-03-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went from the DS2 back in 07, to the k10, to the k20, to the k-7.

The k-7 will undoubtedly outperform the DS2 in pretty much every aspect. Plus, add on top of that its improved responsiveness and more external buttons- it's just a much newer camera overall.

While I hesitantly went from the K10 to the K20, I can confidently say the k-7 was a big step forward
05-04-2010, 06:03 PM   #3

Original Poster
Super! I suppose sensor technology has made anything seem like an upgrade from my DS2, lol. I guess all the K-X/K-7 high ISO debates would be moot for me then, since either would be an upgrade for me.
05-04-2010, 06:40 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

The so-called 'debate' between K-x/K-7 high ISO perfornances is menaningless. Both are superb cameras. The K-x is an entry body while the K-7 is a semi-pro with much more functions and options. At the present prices levels, the K-7 body is definitely value for money.

Importantly the selection of lenses is possibly the most important factor, because a selection of lens(es) might cost more than the camera body. Your usage and needs are also important and you need to consider the entire system camera + lens(es). For example, the K-7 with 18-55mm WR is an excellent start for outdoor shooting; the K-x with the DA40mm pancake is is small package that fits nicely into your pocket; Pentax has some marvellous fast prime lenses and there are many nice 3rd party fast primes (Carl Zeiss, Voigtlander). For a single-lens (all-around lens) set-up, the DA18-250mm with the K-7 is almost the perfect package (it is for me).

I would strongly recommend, however, that you try first the cameras in a shop. The hand feel is extremeley important: you do not want to be disappointed. Many Pentaxians including myself feel that the K-7 hand grip is one of the best (better than the K-x). I also recommend that you try the camera with the lens that you want: how heavy it the camera+lens? how big? will you need a tripod?....

Hope that the comments will help.....

05-04-2010, 08:06 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for your comments hcc! I actually have a pretty good feel of how the camera will fit with my lens. I shoot mostly primes (21, 40, 50) on my own, and break out the 18-250 when out on trips with people who cannot be bothered to wait for my lens change, lol. I rarely, if ever, find myself in a situation to even stick my DS2 + 40 into my pockets, so the size advantage of the k-x will be somewhat lost on me. The 18-55 WR is certainly attractive (if I ever want to shoot from the foot of the Niagara Falls I suppose)... but is it worth the $120 or so above the body price?
05-04-2010, 09:39 PM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CarpetPhoto Quote
Thanks for your comments hcc! I actually have a pretty good feel of how the camera will fit with my lens. I shoot mostly primes (21, 40, 50) on my own, and break out the 18-250 when out on trips with people who cannot be bothered to wait for my lens change, lol. I rarely, if ever, find myself in a situation to even stick my DS2 + 40 into my pockets, so the size advantage of the k-x will be somewhat lost on me. The 18-55 WR is certainly attractive (if I ever want to shoot from the foot of the Niagara Falls I suppose)... but is it worth the $120 or so above the body price?
Although I do not have it, the 18-55mm WR is considered an excellent value for money at $120 by many Pentaxians. More generally the Pentax kit lenses are considered above average, compared to the Canikons.

However remember that WR does not mean waterproof. WR simply gives you more freedom to shoot under dusty, rainy, wet, and muddy situations when you would not take the risk with a non-WR camera. I have used my K-7 is some difficult situations where I would not have tried with a K-x or any non WR dSLR.

Cheers ...
05-04-2010, 09:47 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CarpetPhoto Quote
...The 18-55 WR is certainly attractive (if I ever want to shoot from the foot of the Niagara Falls I suppose)... but is it worth the $120 or so above the body price?
I ordered my K7 to upgrade my DS and it comes tomorrow. I expect everything will be much better, and I'll have fun trying it all.

I went back and forth on the WR kit lens. Eventually I paid about $70 more to get it over the body-only price. Alone it's $150. Worst-case scenario, it should be easy to sell at a small profit. Here's my list of pros:
  • WR body, might as well get WR lens
  • I still use my old kit lens sometimes, and this one has version II optics
  • Cheapest to get the lens with the body, not later
  • Most likely a vacation lens
  • I was impressed with the build quality when I handled one
  • If I don't use it, I can always sell
  • I'm not likely to get a DA* 16-50/2.8

And some cons that I considered:
  • I am probably not WR myself - might be too wimpy to go out in the rain
  • I have the DA 16-45 which should be better IQ, plus other primes
  • Price for body-only drops quicker than price for body+lens
  • Plenty of people did OK before the WR kit was available

Like any lens, evaluate your needs carefully and the choice is easier.
05-04-2010, 10:28 PM   #8
Inactive Account

wow..that is the real upgrading..

go ahead and happy shooting..if me in your place, i never think, i just go..