Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2010, 07:05 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
My head is about to explode.

So on the K-x, I have to look for the AF/AE-L setting which says what? And is it only that one setting I have to change to toggle between using that button for AE-L and AF on demand?
I don't my Kx in front of me, but as I recall there is a setting in the custom menu to toggle the function of the single AF/AE-L button to one of four settings. On my K7 (and the K10/20D if recall correctly) there are two seperature buttons for AF and AE-L.

05-06-2010, 10:46 AM   #32
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-x has two functions for the one button as far as AF goes, but dang if I can figure it out. Haven't played with it yet.

I think one allows the AF to activate with either the shutter or button pressed, and the other only with the button pressed.

I'll try to remember this the next time I shoot the wave borders.
05-06-2010, 10:48 AM   #33
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Okay - I have K-7, not sure about K-x. I see one button is both AF and AEL -RTFM

Actually that pic of you looks like your head is about to explode too!
That's not me!!!

He's much more handsome.
05-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timstone Quote
Went out ATTEMPTING to do some birding today...even though all my lenses are short...using AF C. just irritates me...NONE of the pictures I took are in focus...even though my subjects were all sitting somewhat still (on powerlines and such) and I have the center as the focus point...and that is directly where I put the subject...right in the middle of the viewfinder.

Why is this crap not fixed?
Try to adjust your Av so that the DOF gets as much of the bird as possible in focus.
Take consecutive shots(this is how it's done in wildlife, might as well get used to it)
Gets a split screen(yes... they help with AD too!)

And most of all... experiment with your settings, take shots, try to analyze and understand what is standing between you and your expectations. And if you feel or believe it's a particular setting(such as AF-C) then run some tests to confirm your theory. You may be very surprised to find that many of your suspicions were either secondary or completely off from what is/was truly in the way.

Hope this help, and good luck.

PS... have you ever tried the Pentax AF-TC on AF lens? I never measured it but.. if I had to call it, Id say it is AF on steroids! It makes Pentax AF "very fast" and "very effective" for wildlife shooting.

Good-luck

05-09-2010, 07:20 AM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
My head is about to explode.
So on the K-x, I have to look for the AF/AE-L setting which says what? And is it only that one setting I have to change to toggle between using that button for AE-L and AF on demand?
Me too
I searched my K200 for the AF button on several occasions but to no avail.
The K200 Operator Manual refers to Exposure locking when Focus is locked and refers the operator to page 108 but never mentions how to actually activate it after turning it on on the Menu. It doesn't say anything about using the OK button.

Thanks to Marc's comment about his K200 I now know the OK button was the equivalent of the AF button .

I knew the option was there but couldn't figure out how to work it.

Thanks to all.....